[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Global Real Estate Bubble

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

Do we have a global real estate bubble.

I keep hearing of rampant house price inflation across major western cities like London, San Francisco, Sydney, Vancouver, etc...

Does this have the makings of an asset bubble? Is it near bursting?

I like to think yes but that is likely wishful thinking on my part.
>>
>>1799931

We have a global economy.
>>
>>1799941

What's your point?
>>
If you're buying near any of those top 5 or so cities, I'd definitely think twice.

But, for your local area, just look at the numbers. What would it cost you in monthly mortgage to buy a place vs. renting an equivalent place. If you're seeing rents way under the monthly purchase cost, you're in bubble territory. Otherwise, you'll do ok to buy, IMHO.

Anecdote: Earlier this year, I sold my SF Bay Area home after watching the local estimates climb. Now, after the sale, the estimates in that same area are slowly sliding. It's just an anecdote, but it could indicate another slide.
>>
>>1799947

In my case, the main reason I want to buy is to avoid the absolute ballache that is renting in the London private lettings market.

Having said that, I am very concerned about being in a situation where by loan value is higher than my property value. Though I suppose it unlikely that we will get long term housr price deflation...
>>
>>1799942

The value of all global property, including commercial and residential property and forestry and agricultural land is $217 trillion.

Residential property makes up about 75% of the total value.

In context, the total value of all the gold ever mined is approximately US $6 trillion.

This sum pales in comparison to the total value of developed property by a factor of 36 to 1.

Real estate is the pre-eminent asset class which will be most impacted by global monetary conditions and investment activity and which, in turn, has the power to most impact national and international economies.

Source: http://www.savills.com/_news/article/105347/198559-0/1/2016/world-real-estate-accounts-for-60--of-all-mainstream-assets
>>
>>1799966
I'd be very careful of the London property market in the next couple of years. The rest of the south east isn't too overvalued though.

I'm considering buying a property in Manchester myself.
>>
>>1799966
I've been underwater before, in the late 2000's. Luckily, I wasn't backed into a corner so I didn't have to sell. But, if I did have to, I'd have lost a bit of money, so I was understandably nervous.

The difference, though, is that I bought during a down period, so I figured it would come back up. If you buy during a high, though, that could be a way different story.

Honestly, just look at the month-to-month, is my advice. Don't pay a big premium to own your home. If you're really interested in RE in general, you can always buy rental homes in the US, where the prices are more in line with rents.
>>
>>1799931
We have a banking bubble disguised as a housing/ internet/ stock market bubble. It's so cancerous that I actually expect the economy to improve when it pops and prices normalize.
>>
>>1799968
Wouldn't the value of property go up with growth of population?
Not everyone need gold, but everyone needs to live somewhere. Although, I guess population most of developed countries is on the decline so the prices could be bloated considering them by this factor.
>>
Ha! thats not a bubble...
look at Oslo.. up 25% IN A YEAR!
>>
>>1800392

the guys at UBS who made the the chart didn't even mention Oslo - note that London has had double digit inflation for last 5 years!

I saw another thread on here reporting that Aussie banks have ceased to lend for residential property investments.... maybe they see a sharp correction coming.
>>
>>1800050

How does a banking bubble disguise itself as an asset bubble please tell
>>
>>1800797
He probably means lax lending standards causing people to over-leverage and inflating prices.
>>
>>1799931
>not just buying 30mins-1hr outside of major cities, accessible by train

That's how you avoid getting anally ravaged by the markets
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.