[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Military experience and employment.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: 1486981650196.jpg (483KB, 1024x684px) Image search: [Google]
1486981650196.jpg
483KB, 1024x684px
How do companies and employers view veterans? Do they just see "muh military", or does what you've done while serving matter (whether technical skills, leadership roles, etc)?

I've seen time and time again that companies view veterans favorably, whether or not this is for PR is another matter. But for those of us who've joined in peace-time, and especially those in the combat-arms (literally no civilian equivalent skills), we really have nothing to show for it, some not even a deployment. I can put down "experience in team-building and leadership, etc" but when it comes to it, I wouldn't be able to draw upon any real examples outside of day to day garrison life.
>>
>>1795730
It's good if you're a bottom of the rung type. I work as a storeman in Aus, driving forklifts and so forth, and my employer kind of made a fuss over how I was in the Navy. A lot of employers I've had have had the same attitude; people seem to be a little impressed by it. You and I both know that peace time militaries are basically welfare rides, but they don't. Plus I believe ex military, even peace time, have a different way of carrying themselves compared to civvies.A little more gravitas, dare I say it? People pick up on that shit. But yeah, I'd rather have a trade or a uni degree any day compared to 4 wasted years as a radar operator.
>>
Employers are looking for people who show up on time, don't complain, don't miss days and just get the job done. Discipline is kinda stupid hard to find in the gen pop today. Vets are literally programed for it.
>>
Depends. Just being a vet gets you:

-General points on your hiring application, particularly for federal jobs
-Access to the GI bill to go to college for four years
-A degree of respectability

Your job within the military may or may not get you:

-Secret/Top Secret clearance that remains current up to one year after you leave
-A skillset that qualifies you for an outside job, including technical certs
-Qualifications like a Merchant Marine license depending on what job you work

Basically it's up to you what you want to do. You can do something that doesn't translate well outside of the military like infantry and just take your hiring points and GI Bill, you can do something that preps you for a white collar job in the Federal Government or a private corporation like Intelligence, or you can do something that preps you for a blue collar trade like welding or motor pool. It's up to you.
>>
>>1795765
>peace time militaries are basically welfare rides
Yes, and a lot of people I know hate to admit this
>w-we don't do it for the money
>>1795802
How does this relate if I want to move up in the company?
>>1795827
>like infantry
tfw infantry right now. I'm considering switching to a new occupation if nothing ramps up in the next year or 2, and possibly switching occupations because of the lack of technical skills.
>>
>>1795730
People that served in the military are different than those that didn't.
>>
>>1795878

Dude. Take your GI bill and go to college on it. When you get out of college you can do something federal at least.

If army maybe put in for ranger school or special forces because they get you clearances and SF has you learn languages.
>>
>>1795900
Sorry, should've mentioned this is Canadian Army. But, I do know our SF does the language thing too (to an extent). But I've already got a degree (arts), so I was thinking of either picking up a trade or go back to school for something else.
>>
>>1795989

Ah. I don't know the Canadian system too well, just the US. Sorry aboot that.
>>
>>1795730
you would be glad to get a job at a gas station with military background.
>>
know a guy going into one of the big4 and he says it's gold dust
>>
>>1796270
>gold dust
What did he mean by this?
>srs
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.