[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hedge Fund Founding Partner

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

File: TSE.jpg (167KB, 1334x1000px) Image search: [Google]
TSE.jpg
167KB, 1334x1000px
Founding partner at a mid-sized hedge fund.
>Commodities Pool Operator
>95% of trading is automated
>Fund's been around for 3 years now
>Personally been in the market for 6 years

Ask me anything.
>>
Is it all HFT? How long do you normally hold a trade for?
>>
>>1792444

Why did you post this here and not on /qst/?
>>
How does one automate trading?
>>
>>1792444
are you hiring?
>>
>>1792444
How would you suggest getting a position within a futures trading firm?

I've met people who have community college degrees and work as golf caddies prior to becoming a futures trader
>>
File: lead_large.jpg (94KB, 615x411px) Image search: [Google]
lead_large.jpg
94KB, 615x411px
>>1792444
How did you seed the money? How would you recommend going about seeding the money? Do you think it'd be easier to seed money by going to your alma mater's endowment?

What are your fees?

What is your success rate of getting clients from pitching them your fund? I've heard 1/30 from one fund

Would it be possible for me to run a $10 AUM hedge fund all by myself with only contracting a lawyer and accountant? I figure I could average $300K in revenues.

What would the average annual expenses be for contracting out a lawyer and accountant for that?

What's your net rate of return after commissions and taxes?
>>
>ask me anything
>dosn't answer anything
>>
>>1792444
Do you masturbate to 2D?
>>
>>1792537
though not the OP I'll comment on this - you'll find you're most likely at least a decade late for that sort of thing, the sort of things done by 'locals' 10-15 years ago are now mostly done by machines

there are a few locals still trading by pointing and clicking with a mouse on some TT or CQG price ladder but >99% of the locals who were active a decade ago have gone

there used to be a plenty of prop firms/arcades in London/Chicago that would happily take people on, with a fairly low barrier to entry and back them to trade - those days are gone

you will now get rather dubious firms that pretend to be operating a similar sort of operation - they tend to either charge people thousands for 'training' or get people to work remotely again paying a (smaller) fee and maybe selecting a few to trade live - you'll essentially trade your own money and/or that of the other (failed) trainees and will have to grow your own account to trade at a higher limit... which begs the question of why you're even paying them a % split instead of just setting up your own account...

conversely at a legit firm they'd ramp up your leverage once you'd proven yourself and you'd be fine to withdraw your entire profit split at the end of each month - no building your account up nonsense - if you're prop trading you're trading the firm's money!
>>
>>1792629
you can ask your clearer about this, most big clearing firms can connect you with people who'd provide seed capital, hedge fund incubators etc.. they've seen your past performance too after all

you could also go for a hybrid set up - contact a fund that allows you to be almost self employed albeit you get the back office/compliance/fund raising taken care of - Millennium Partners for example, they've got plenty of cash to throw your way if you're good and they'll quite quickly show you the door if you're not... if you've got a track record then go chat to them or others like them
>>
Do you guys read stuff, or is it overwhelmingly more cost-effective to just feed fundamentals and technicals into a computer?
I really enjoy reading 10qs and detailed info on the operations and products of the companies I trade, and I wonder sometimes how common that is.
>>
>>1792629
>$300K
>on $10M
anon, i...

who would invest in it?
how much would you take yourself? 3k a year?
>>
>>1792444
what is your educational background
>>
>>1792633
Was just thinking that
>>
File: 1486701244799.jpg (86KB, 960x692px) Image search: [Google]
1486701244799.jpg
86KB, 960x692px
>>1793015
thanks I'll look into that, but would my own personal trading account's history be enough to convince them as someone who's never managed client money? This would be like 5 years down the line if I even get a good return history

>>1793039
I don't see how $300k is farfetched for $10M when its just myself. 2 and 20 would make it $300k even if I underperform the SPY annualized average. Since hedgies are suffering now though I'd probably make it 1 and 10.

As for who would invest in it, thats still something I would have to figure out
>>
>>1793005
Yeah, I basically knew that much already. I actually knew a guy who worked in London, then came to Chicago and his firm just send under so he's looking to join an algorithmic firm, even though he has very little experience in that sector. He doesn't know R or MATLAB or anything like that.
>>
>>1792444
Thoughts on ripple (the crypto currency)?

Thoughts on uranium mining?

Thoughts on gold and silver mining?
>>
>>1793310
I was assuming you're already profitable and had some history

start making money first then figure out what the best approach to scale your business is

not all strategies lend themselves to taking on client money
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.