[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Where to find help with a technical startup i've been working

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

File: 1456176683365.jpg (810KB, 1625x1117px) Image search: [Google]
1456176683365.jpg
810KB, 1625x1117px
Where to find help with a technical startup i've been working on?

Only need one person and I don't personally know anyone with the skill-set.
Any websites or advice that cater to this?
>>
...what's the skillset?
>>
>>1788366
If you're paying someone, indeed will let you review resumes for free, and they'll even let you reach out to 50 applicants for free with your signup. After that its $1/person you want to bounce your job off of.

This presupposes you're not an idea guy looking to pay someone with real skill in shares of your imaginary company. (Don't mean to sound like a dick, but idea guys need an overdose of straight talk before they get out of their own way and just learn the skill themselves)
>>
>>1788384
Should have clarified.

It's a technical project, so someone with technical skills in unity (C#) and basic electronic/hardware principles. An engineer. No it's not a "video game" if that's what you guys are thinking.

I'm talking a co-founder of sorts.
>>
>>1788389
Freelancer is a decent site.
>>
>>1788387
This is good advice, thanks. I might look into that as it needs to be someone local.

>Don't mean to sound like a dick, but idea guys need an overdose of straight talk before they get out of their own way and just learn the skill themselves
I would completely agree with you but I'm an engineer who has all the skills needed. Prototype is mostly complete. Not just an "idea guy".
It's just too much work for me at this point. I can't keep flying solo and stay sane.
>>
>>1788395
Well that changes everything.

Godspeed brave anon!

I think its called Angelslist, or something like that, but it would probably be a decent stop looking for a like minded technical co-founder dude. They may want in-kind help from you on their projects too.
>>
>>1788406
I actually remember using that site a while back to apply.

Will look into it, thanks anon. Just trying to avoid wasting time with Pajeets or people lying about technical skills.
>>
>>1788366

Gotta find someone with experience in the industry who will help guide you.

Thats what I did with my business.
>>
>>1788834
How did you do it? What is your business? Give me some details anon

It's easier said than done. Would love a "mentor" of some kind but anyone competent is likely already busy/tired as fuck.
Hmm.. where to find one.

I also need some feedback on what I already have done but too paranoid to show anyone that I don't trust. I might get in contact with an old professor now that I think about it.
>>
>>1788842

Wanted to start a business (a trade), both a family friend and a guy from my church worked in this particular trade.

I meet with each of them regularly, or call them when I have questions. They verbatim told me everything I needed to do.

> Getting an LLC
> Setting up a bank account
> Insurance
> Taxes
> Customer dilemmas
> Business strategy
> Marketing

Any time I have a question I just call them. In return I send them business and regularly send them gifts or buy them lunch/beers.
>>
>>1788847
Thanks i'll try and emulate this.

I wish it were possible to have someone tell me everything I'd need.
So many directions to tilt this project into and I can't be the only one to decide which as i'm biased.

professional kickstarter videos are also expensive as fuck, will be at least $1k. hopefully worth it?
>>
>>1790448
Look for "incubators" or "accelerators", they can help you do this shit.
>>
>>1791298
Oh I actually forgot about these. Are you familiar with the process?

I don't want to show it to that many people, as few as possible. I guess i'll have to look into the procedures. Thanks.
>>
>>1791849
I worked for a startup at an incubator place. That one, you presented your idea to a couple of people. If they judged it acceptable (this wasn't particularly hard to pass) you were given access to many services such as free office space, mentors, presentations, connections, possible attention from investors, etc. You had to do some small stuff in return. This may or may not be worth it for you.

If you happen to be in Montreal, I have lots of experience with Unity and C#. But not hardware. I can do technical 3d models if needed.
>>
>>1791862
Not around Montreal unfortunately, east coast US.
Getting office-space for free sounds awesome though, just don't want to have my project out in the open until release. It's a big paranoia for me so I look to minimize exposure.

>You had to do some small stuff in return.
Like what? What did end up doing for this?

Some of the people that mentor or whatever are technical, yeah? Assuming it's not just art/video/management stuff. Appreciate advice, i'll likely go to one of these in the coming week.
>>
>>1791878
First of all, these places are all different I'm sure. If I had to guess, I was at one of the better ones. No strings, just free stuff, as long as the business appears to be progressing.
The small stuff that was needed in return: I'm not the one who applied so I don't know all the details. My boss had to give regular updates on the business progress, go to a meeting once in a while, paperwork.

The mentors, it depends. At the place where I worked, a few people could help with general business questions or point you in the right direction, but nothing technical.

At an "accelerator", you would get much more mentor support. They could have a technical person(s) with experience in your industry (but will they be smarter than you?), on top of strong support for everything business related. Accelerators are much harder to get into and have more conditions, they might ask for equity in exchange for funding, and you have to present your idea to a significant amount of people (some of whom are investors, this is not without benefit).
>>
>>1788366

Polite bump.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.