[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Asking for raise

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

>Work 1 year for a finance/consulting company as tech support
>Company gets brought out
>Team leader quits and I get Kingindanorf'd into Team Leader by my team, against company's inclinations given my inexperience
>Salary goes from 40k to 60k
>My boss in another city, so I get to work pretty independently but rely on his advice for process/team management advice
>Team shrinks down to 3 people including me due to efficiencies created
>6 months ago, other two members of team successfully argue for a raise from 40k to 52k
>Find myself regularly doing 10 hours days, working on weekends for releases etc
>Want more money

The problem is, they've made some redundancies in other sectors of the business.

I'm pretty young in the game so I can understand them being light with the raise, but at the end of the day you pay for the role not for the experience. If I can do the job, I should get paid for it. Similar roles for team leader in tech support/finance specifically pull 80-100k.

The company has annual reviews for everyone at the same time of year. I really feel like I deserve a raise, but they're laying off people and it's halfway through the review period. What would you do?
>>
First, you have to know if you're viable to get a job elsewhere.
Apply to other jobs if possible, see what you can get from them. If that seems optimistic go ask for the raise showing average/trends you mentioned.
If you can't get the raise and other jobs available, just jump ship. This way you hedge for everything.

Laying off is rarely a good sign. More incentive to risk big or jump ship. Understand all implications.
A lot depends on how your boss likes you and if you really push value to the company. Leverage my anon.
>>
>>1776867
>First, you have to know if you're viable to get a job elsewhere.

Yeah I think that's the thing that worries me most. A lot of the other jobs are expecting extensive technical support skills (SQL etc) whereas I'm mostly soft-skilled. Would love to learn more but I just don't get the time in this job.

>Laying off is rarely a good sign.

One guy was an autistic dude (exceptionally nice guy) who used to cook bacon and eggs on a sandwich press. The other guy was a reasonably skilled database dev who ended up spending a lot of time doing basic data migrations and I think they realized they could get someone to do it for a lot cheaper - so it's hard to really gauge how the company's feeling.

My boss seems to really like me (as mentioned earlier, I work pretty independently - my boss has nothing to do with the product I support).

I think I'll start applying for other jobs to get a sense of my value. Thanks for the advice anon
>>
>>1776856
If the redundancies aren't in your sector then that isn't an issue (protip: it never will be. IT is lacking talent big time, 90% of pajeets can't fill leadership roles). In my past job I got to your point a few times but my manager/director were always fair and hit me with raises before I asked. Anyway, I think your first move would be to blatantly drop the hint to your boss that you feel you are knocking it out of the park and give him time to run it up the foodchain. Give it a month or so then ask him again if you dont hear back. Any manager worth his salt is perfectly fine with being asked for a raise
>>
>>1776892
>protip: it never will be. IT is lacking talent big time, 90% of pajeets can't fill leadership roles
In small teams, leadership tends to matter less if the boss is competent.

IT is indeed lacking in talent but automation is a much bigger influence in IT market. Especially when a demand increases for automation. IT is going to get fucking stripped in the next few years and that's why I jumped ship and moved to programming.

I don't know what you mean by tech support, but if it's fixing shit and configuring O/S then tread very very carefully. Pajeet is after you.
>>
>>1776909
By tech support I mean answering phones and emails to our customers.

With a hint of denial I'd say it'd be pretty hard to get Pajeet's to do what we do - it's not just password resets and user administration. It's software for banking/mortgages for those in the industry, and half the stuff we do is training that requires a lot of knowledge of the business processes for these industries. The other half is handling change requests and being a point of contact for important clientele for anything that falls outside of ongoing project management.

They've outsourced the testing departments - but frankly it's just regression/shakedown, anyone who knows how to use a computer could regression test and write up cases. But I feel the support department will be around at least for a few years, most of our shit isn't documented and it takes months before a new employee is competent enough to fly completely solo.

Of course these are my arguments, I can't say that executive management will always perceive it that way. I'm trying to position myself towards fully fledged training/account management/possibly project management to avoid this risk.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.