[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is being a chef for a big hotel a good way to make big buck?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 3

Is being a chef for a big hotel a good way to make big buck?
>>
File: 65867576.png (56KB, 1349x325px) Image search: [Google]
65867576.png
56KB, 1349x325px
>>
>>1776613
Just what i needed, thanks.
>>
>>1776605

no.

You'll work your fingers to the bone for 3 to 5 years just to make it to sus chef, at which point you MIGHT hit $50k a year.

Then after a lot more work, you MIGHT end up at $60k/$70k a year as a head chef.

And the entire time you'll be yelled at, belittled, and work 60hr work weeks.

The only route I would recommend for chef types is to open your own restaurant. At least then you are the boss, and won't be abused by someone else.

> I know 2 restaurant owners, a head chef, and a sus chef.
>>
>>1776605
My brother went from line cook, to sous chef, exec chef and then house manager. Took him about 6 years with couple breaks working office jobs. He has worked 100 hour weeks before. Sure he makes 90k in a small southern city but he is constantly stressed out and hates his life. This is a case study but from what I've seen it's one of the worst industries to be in.
>>
>>1776605
NIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGERNIGGER
>>
>>1776682
THIS.
Some poor fucker hired me and he described this very thing. His dad is a rich jew that encouraged him to do other things, yet the idiot actually decided to be a chef.
He's spend 4 or so years in a culinary school and has been stuck in a deadend restaurant job for 6 or 8 years now. He's 29. The only thing he does is drugs and fuck hookers, but he's been doing the same thing for years now so he hates it.
Not only that, the guy works 2 jobs and even tells me about how some days he's pulling 14 hour shifts while having to wake up at 2am to get to his next 6 hour shift job.
It's not worth it. It's fucking slave labor, but you WILL earn a decent amount of money rather than making min wage if you weasel your way to food prep.
I was making $14 - 17 an hour depending on how much overtime I did, and all I was doing is giving chefs shit they ask for and cutting vegetables.
>>
>>1776605
If you were to Google the salary of a head chef, it seems glamorous.
However, it's a stressful job reserved for retards stuck in a constant state of emptiness.
You work ridiculously long work weeks, and at weird times so it's only possible to have a social life with other restaurant people.
Also, you don't start out making big pay, you gotta work your tits off for many years and be treated like shit until you even have the option of getting a raise.

Restaurant people are scum.

>coming from a person who used to work restaurants

No, it's not a good way to make money.
>>
>>1777051
>>1776727
>>1776695

I'm already 8 months in as a commis chef, should i bail out or what?

honestly $50k+ salaries look great for me, and i'm only 22 so i may be making big buck by the time i'm 30 or something.
>>
>>1776682
I think private / personal chef is a good route to take as well.

Pay is better. More freedom in your cooking (unless you have a spergy picky eater as a client). Less stress

Restaurant cooking is a mugs game.
>>
File: 1485986467734.png (48KB, 299x217px) Image search: [Google]
1485986467734.png
48KB, 299x217px
>>1777196

> It's not a job
> It's not a career
> It is a lifestyle.

The above might not make sense until your in the position. But like anons have said, you work long hours/holidays/weekends/apocalypse/hungover/sick, etc.

Eventually you have to decide if you want to be single your whole life. The "rockstar" life style is fun, but eventually, you might want to settle down and have a normal life, which isn't exactly easy in the culinary arts.

Figure out your life goals and go from there. If you want to make money, you will do okay as long as you get in with a good restaurant and team.

If you solely just want to make money, I'd figure out another career.

> Former cook (non papered chef)
> Miss it everyday though...
> I make more money being a paper shuffler... Still though...
>>
>>1776605

Also, if you decide to do it, don't go to cooking school.

it's a waste of time AND money. You learn cooking by doing it. And by reading the basic cooking textbooks.
>>
>>1777513
Wouldn't the certificate make my resume look better and more legitimate if i want to become an executive chef?
>>
>>1776605
Restaurant/pub/bar work is fucking awesome. Its hard work, very hard, but if you have a fun team its very manageable. Although, i can imagine in the States you get te shittiest wage possible since you have 0 rights.

Land of the free, my ass.
>>
>>1776682
>open your own restaurant
Shit dude have you never watched stuff like Ramsay's kitchen nightmares?
>>
>>1776605
>>1776613
you're going to have to be spending alot of that money on cocaine, so be sure to take that into consideration.
>>
>>1777196
Yes, you have plenty of time to start over.
Get into another field (and no I can't help you figure that out.)
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.