[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Investing Questions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: consider the following.jpg (63KB, 321x475px) Image search: [Google]
consider the following.jpg
63KB, 321x475px
I am a 21 year-old college student (graduating soon) and have ~$15k in my bank. I have no debt, work part-time in retail, and still live with my parents. I want to invest some, not all, in something that will generate a positive return (hopefully quickly) and is relatively low risk. Any ideas?

Also a thread for general questions about investing, I suppose.
>>
>>1775017
Seeing as you are about to graduate, that money is needed for the short term. If you already have a job waiting for you, then invest. If you don't have a job waiting, then you need to keep that money for job searching. Searching for a job is the best way to invest at the moment.
>>
>>1775023
I am graduating with an AA in Computer Information Systems and am thinking about working for a big company like Charter of Spectrum. Start out as an installer or sales representative, and work my way up.

I plan to move to Idaho where it's dirt cheap to live up there. l live in southern California right now, and l absolutely hate it here for every reason imaginable. lf l moved to ldaho relatively soon, l would buy something really cheap, pay it off relatively quickly, and continue living there while l pocket my paycheck every month.
>>
>>1775017
BUY SILVER ALL IN. It will triple or more in the next financial crisis. With trump we are closer than ever.
>>
>>1775345
This is my plan, senpai.
>>
>>1775345
>With Trump, we are closer than ever

Trump won't cause the economy to crash, the (((elites))) behind the scenes will crash it and everyone will blame it on Trump. Or the massive bubble that the US is sitting on will pop.
>>
>>1775017
The "low risk" part is the most detrimental. You should probably plan it out for yourself what kinds of risk you are willing to take for what kinds of returns. And only invest into money you don't need immediately.

You can have positive returns on savings accounts and no risk.
You can have moderate returns with bonds, but also marginally higher risk.
Or you can have high-ish returns with stocks, but there is also considerable risk.

Diversification is king, so I'd suggest looking into funds. The most general recommendation on /biz/ is probably ETFs and using the strategy "buy and hold". You're young, you can stomach a few economic crisis. But as best as we can tell from historical data, on average almost no investment beats the stock market in the long run. So whenever you have money to spare, buy ETFs (for cost-averaging) and just hold onto them.
>>
>>1775040
You see that you should not be investing right now. Moving takes money. Furniture cost money. Getting a new job and clothes/uniforms cost money.
After you have your job and move, you need to maintain 10k as an emergency fund. Put 4500 in a high interest savings account. Put 5500 in a roth IRA. You can withdraw principle from roth with no penalty.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.