[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Financial and Economic Infant here

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

File: War Paint.jpg (41KB, 636x425px) Image search: [Google]
War Paint.jpg
41KB, 636x425px
Hey guys, I've found myself at a crossroad in life, I recently got out of the military and I'm back in the real world all alone.

I was homeless before I enlisted and a good friend let me stay at his place in Oregon so I can get on my feet.

What I'd like to ask you all is, how do I actually get on my feet? I've been living paycheck to paycheck for too long and I want to be the first one in my family to make a million.

I'm almost broke and I I'm banking on my tax return to carry me over until I start college, once in college I get 1800 from the DoD for living cost a month, how can I maximize this and eventually get out of my buddies hair and into my own place?

Any advice would be appreciated

>pic unrelated, I'm a /k/ommando at heart
>>
>>1774966
Shame the government doesn't do more to teach our boys basic finances.

That's where you start anon, the basics. I mean damn basic too, head to the library and pick up some books for free... don't get too hardcore, grab simple titles "money 101" and "for dummies" type stuff.

Real simple stuff, but it gets you started.

I'd recommend being honest with your buddy. He might think you're just a month away from moving out or something. Let him know your situation and that you're actively changing it.

Also, go talk to the counselor at the school and any counselor the military has available and take advantage of literally every single program/option they throw at you.

Best of luck, thanks for serving
>>
Read the Total Money Makeover by Dave Ramsey. You can probably find an old copy at a thrift store or a public library. This stuff is ESSENTIAL, don't waste time overthinking it, just READ IT. Immediately save up 1000 dollars in cash and DO NOT TOUCH IT, this is your emergency fund. Do you have any debt? Start paying all debt off starting with the smallest and working your way up, do this fast as you can, selling all pointless expensive shit you own in the process. While you're doing this increase your income in simple ways. Start delivering pizzas at night. You can easily add 2000 dollars a month this way. Read. Work on your soft skills. The military can make you harsh and reclusive, prone to alcoholism. Read How to Win Friends and Influence People. Take that shit seriously, it's important to make connections with people if you want a good job. Last but not least, GO TO SCHOOL FOR SOMETHING WITH A DECENT ROI, this is very important as you will be fucked if you sell yourself short and get an art degree or psychology degree or english, etc. I'm in the military and it sucks man, you make barely anything as an enlisted and you are severely overworked and stressed. Good luck bro.
>>
>>1774966
If you left the military without any money saved you're retarded. They literally provide everything to you for free then pay you money on top of that.

If you haven't done so already I suggest to get rid of your Challenger or Mustang and get drunk on less expensive liquor.
>>
>>1775160
>>1775934
Thanks guys, I'll look into it

And I am completely debt free, I've never been in debt in my life before and I don't own much, just a car, a couple pairs of clothes, 2 guns and a bunch of books

>>1775945
I actually had some money saved up but I spent most of it buying a beater as my first car and paying for moving costs the military doesn't cover.

Like I said in the OP, I was never good with money
>>
hope you die in the army, ptsdcel
>>
>>1778343
Marine Corps and its too late bud, got out already
>>
>>1778837
Former 0341 here. You get a rating from the VA?
>>
>>1774966
When I got out I got a job at Pizza Hut so I could at least eat. I lived in a tent for three months until I had enough to get a place. From there I worked my way up the management food chain until I was making decent money.

If I had it to do over again I would've been applying at either the post office where we get hiring preference, or with the government as temporary help in hopes of getting a regular job. I might have settled for working for a gov contractor since they give the same hiring preference to vets. Like most marines I got a lot of job offers in law enforcement, but that's not really my thing.

anyways, best of luck landing on your feet. I have no doubt you'll do fine back on the block. Use your GI Bill, that's what you worked for.
>>
>>1774966
See if you can get ahold of a financial advisor, and whatever you do draw up a budget immediately. This doesn't have to be some monolithic spreadsheet without any room for you to enjoy yourself, you just want to know how and when you are spending your money.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.