[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Waiting tables in the US

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 4

File: IMG_6026.jpg (14KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6026.jpg
14KB, 275x183px
I'm considering becoming a waiter.

How are tips taxed? And in reality, how much of tips are actually reported as income and not poccketed?
>>
>>1774517
Depends on the company and how the transaction is made (cash vs. card). Of course you are legally obligated to report tips as income, but if it's just cash in your pocket every night then you don't need to. Larger companies will be more strict about this.
>>
>>1774527
>Larger companies will be more strict about this.

Nope. Worked for one and they don't care. The rule in the waiting industry is as follows:

Say you made at least min wage.

They don't care how much gets reported (Though credit card tips are automatically reported) as long as they don't have to pay you more than tip wages.
>>
>>1774527
>>1774540

So if someone wanted to get only cash tips then that person should work only at a cash-only restaurant?
>>
>>1774540
Look, your one experience doesn't prove me wrong. I know a lot more than you so, and don't pretend otherwise. It all depends on the company. Sometimes even independent restaurants track all tips and report them to the IRS.
>>
i leave a tip on credit card every time i tip. they *must report it. lel.
>>
>>1774596
Okay senpai whatever you say all those franchises must've been lying to me.
>>
>>1774603
not him but it is a big world and i doubt you talked to all of them
>>
File: 1486090856806.png (319KB, 447x679px) Image search: [Google]
1486090856806.png
319KB, 447x679px
>>1774517
Are you a women or a 6'2+ attractive guy? If not, than they will make you a busser for 2 or so years and busboys make a little bit more than micky D's workers do but for back breaking work
>>
I'm curious about the type of training waiter's receive. How come they never introduce themselves or ask your name?
>>
>>1774864
They normally receive next to no training.
>>
>>1774864
>>1774872
In new york city they require at least 3 years experience serving in NYC restaurants if you wanna be a server
>>
File: 1317054735848.gif (2MB, 265x303px) Image search: [Google]
1317054735848.gif
2MB, 265x303px
>>1774517
I know I'm late to the show, but google Tip Credits. Basically in some states the establishment can legally pay you less than minimum wage as long as you make up the difference in tips. I'm a pizza guy and it works the same way. The only tips that are taxed are the tips reported at the end of the day. Receipt tips leave paper trails and are thus reported by the establishment while cash tips are untraceable so most places won't even ask you about those. I have a friend who works for a different pizza place and they do a full shake down at the end of the day for all cash tips since any unreported cash tips can get the store hit with a fine at the end of the year. I think here in Missouri it changed since then and businesses are no longer accountable for unclaimed cash tips but instead the worker gets fined.

It's pretty lame how you can legally get underpaid to the point where you rely on peoples generosity to get by. Double lame how the government wants their chunk of said generosity as well. They would tax middle schoolers cutting lawns in the summer if they had a way of tracking their income.

tl;dr

>Tip Credits allow businesses to underpay workers as long as they make up the difference in tips.
>100% of reported tips are taxable as income just like your checks are.
>Unreported tips can get your workplace hit with fines at the end of the year so some of them are really anal about it but most don't really care as long as it looks like you made minimum on paper.
>>
>>1774842

Shit. I'm a fat autist.
>>
>>1775133

I'm in California so I would get $10.50/hour plus tips.
>>
>>1774517
They make way more than they deserve for carrying plates and relaying orders. So that's a nice plus. On the downside you are a literal servant and the only takeaway is improved people skills
>>
>>1775133
>they do a full shake down at the end of the day for all cash tips
Do they literally search the employee and his car?
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.