[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Anyone here an eletrical engineer?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: download.jpg (13KB, 266x190px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
13KB, 266x190px
I have to find a new area of employment. Was thinking of ee. Anyone here want to tell me why its god tier or meme tier.

Also whats your day to day look like.
>>
I'm a student (Masters).

If you are asking if its worth getting into EE from an unrelated field the answer is yes. Its a creative God mode combining Electronics, Mathematics, Physics and CS allowing you to make almost anything. Its competitive so its no trivial to be entrepreneurial but its certainly possible. You also get an engineers mindset if you get in to it which is useful even outside of work.

AS for the day to day, most places iv'e worked I've been a software engineer because I like coding but I wouldn't trade my EE knowledge for more in depth CS knowledge. The once place I have worked as an EE engineer, the array of things I did was broad because it was a small company, but the EE aspect I found tedious. I had to design a small PCB and I found it a much more difficult process compared to software. Especially the part when you jump from a prototype to production.I also found this quite stressful, any mistake you make can cost a substantial amount at scale, and since the PCBs are ordered externally there was always a lead time. which can be a problem if you are inexperienced but at the same time have consequential deadlines.

Anyway I'm not going to work designing circuit boards again and I'm definitely glad I'm doing EE.
>>
I myself am currently studying Computer Engineering. At my school it is a solid mix of EE and CS. As far as jobs are concerned, most people in EE are old and retiring so there will be a lot of mobility. However, compared to CS there is less positions available. The work varies a lot on what you want to do. You can do IC design, FPGA Devel, Some coding (although skill wise EE is not as good as CS in this case) , power systems and a lot more depending on what you want to specialize into.

The pay looks decent for those with an EE degree. It's not my personal cup of tea, but I did take all of the 100-200 level classes EE have to take plus a couple more. I'd be able to answer a lot better about computer engineering and a little bit about computer science as well.
>>
>>1772370
Don't you have software to simulate your curcuits? Was reading about algorithms to automatically design not too long ago . Seems strange that you can't test your PCB in software.
>>
>>1772487

You can, You can model (abstract) circuits using software such as PSPICE to get transient and steady state behaviour for your circuits. Furthermore you can use open source software such as EAGLE to do the actual PCB design. This software has an 'autorouting' function which will lay the tracks on the PCB for you algorithmically. This doesnt work too well (the ciircuit gets messy) and for high-frequency circuits it doesnt work at all as the PCB layout has to be made with special care for parasitic effects etc. Anyway even when you have a good PCB layout going from that stage to an actual board is not trivial. Selecting the correct components etc. DESU at the place where I worked I was the only Electrical Engineer I didn't have a mentor to show me what can be done with 10,000 USD software packages.

In engineering the devil is in the details. Every detail of a board needs to be correct with some assurance for example that your components will last X years at nominal operating conditions. There is a ton of stuff to take into account.

If you want to take a look at whats possible in the EE world look at 'Great Scott''s youtube channel. This German dude knows his stuff and shows some pretty cool things that can be made as well as a primer on electronics in general. Also if you dont find it interesting in a 'nerdy' sort of way dont do it. To get good at EE you need to become a tech guy, you need to like this stuff and not do it just as work.
>>
im ee
i enjoy the work but school was hell
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.