[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Trading

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_7106.jpg (947KB, 2592x1936px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7106.jpg
947KB, 2592x1936px
Hey /biz/ probably a frequently asked question, but how do I get into trading
Not as a main source of income but to make money on the side.
What's the best strategy to start?
Are there any books I should/have to read? Someone here mentionend the "for Dummies" book; is that a good place to start?
Should I specialize in smthg?
How horrible is it, that I have only half an hour each day that I can productively invest in it?
Thanks in advance
>>
>>1764838
>What's the best strategy to start?
Buy and hold ETFs.

Stock picking for the most part is a losing proposition. Very few people beat the market long-term. Active management of your portfolio isn't automatically better. Looking back it's easy to see the gigantic profit you could have made had you bought at the bottom and sold at the top, but in the moment you never know *when* you've reached the bottom or the top, so you end up missing it a lot, hurting your profits.

>How horrible is it, that I have only half an hour each day that I can productively invest in it?
If you're only in it for some money on the side, you don't need half an hour a month, probably. Half an hour is not really enough to properly daytrade and far too much to keep you sane. Staring at the markets for half an hour a day will drive you insane. If anything, read a good news paper and try if you can spot some interesting economic trends over several years (where are we currently in the cycle, which countries are on the rise, which industries struggle, how is the general sentiment of investors, etc).

If you want to do a little stock picking, maybe for fun, maybe to learn something, alot a little money you don't care about and just go for it. Or start a virtual account and trade with fake money until you are confident enough to risk the real deal. Hands-on learning will teach you more than reading a book.
>>
>>1764838
Not a great idea. You're effectively trying to compete in something you know almost nothing about, while putting minimal effort towards it. If success was likely, don't you imagine everyone would be doing this?
What's more likely is that you will lose money, get frustrated and switch to something else with less money, lose more and switch again. This will continue until you have very little cash left and/or several underwater positions that you can't bear to sell.
You can then commence to posting here about how the market is rigged.
>>
>>1764868
Thanks for the helpful comment!
>>
>>1764838
Sorry you're probably not going to be successful. People literally spend 60+ hours a week at this and still suck at it. Some people can do it but you really need to be full time if you want to be a "trader." If you want a more passive investment buy some ETFs or something
>>
>>1764868
>>1764988
watch the markets over 15 hours a day nakedly. 1 minute, or better tick. then read books
>>
>>1765009
What exactly are etfs?
>>
>>1765109
Exchange traded funds, usually managed by a computer algorithm emulating an index at very low cost.

This isn't the 20th century anymore, by the way. You don't depend on explanations from others - you literally have the vast majority of human knowledge at your fingertips! Google, Wikipedia, Investopedia - there's dozens of ways you can readily get a comprehensive explanation without waiting on some idiot on /biz/ to spoon-feed you something that may or may not be correct.
>>
>>1765150
Thanks again, and you are right. But that's kind of the problem. There's not one book to read but a thousand, not one article or one source but a billion.
How do I know where to start, w/o asking people who have been there?
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.