[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Working at my house as a student ?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: freelancer-working.jpg (56KB, 500x400px) Image search: [Google]
freelancer-working.jpg
56KB, 500x400px
Hello /biz/, not sure if this is the right board to ask this.

I'm currently 20, go to college and still live with my parents. I'm planning on studying in another town next year and thus getting my own flat. My family can barely afford it so I'm considering applying to a part-time job to be able to put money aside.
Problem is, I already searched for one near where I live and, due to my studies and my other activities, I can't work at the times they're giving.

So, my question is : Considering I don't have a degree yet, don't have any useful experience except for babysitting, is it possible for me to work at my house like a freelancer in any domain (that I would then learn intensively before) ?
>>
>>1764773
Yes, it's certainly possible.
>>
>>1764776
>>1764781
Which domain should be the most profitable for me to learn ?
Is there a website where I can offer my services ? If so, which one ? Or do I need to somehow build a network myself and need to do advertising ? I guess it depends on what I'll be doing ?
>>
Bumping, interested about working from home too.
>>
Interested as well. Im part time as a receptionist but no one calls and I have access to my laptop with WiFi, so I'd love to make money while making money.
>>
>>1764786
I’ve been freelancing since I left high school. I started off doing websites for ~$250.

Now I charge around $10,000 per website.

You should check out Fiverr.com for short-term gigs. Fiverr has a wide variety of gigs you can offer.

For long-term, higher-paying gigs check out UpWork. UpWork offers jobs in more traditional freelancing fields (web design, writing, graphic design, marketing, sales, SEO, etc.)
>>
>>1765441
Really interesting, thank you for your answer !
Would you be able to tell me how much time you spend making a single website ? Did you have any trouble finding clients at first ? I think short-term contracts would better suit me as I tend to be less and less invested in any of my work as time passes.
>>
I freelanced on upwork for about 10 months and let me tell you why it won't work

>Lack of steady income
Freelancing is hit or miss. I made $5K one week and didn't get another gig for 4 weeks after that.

>Sites make the most money
Upwork takes 20% of your money. A $1,000 project will only earn you $800 before taxes. You are constantly being bid-down by other freelancers and it is difficult to lock in high-paying contracts.

>Your hourly rate is shit
When you truly account for your hourly rate, including applying for gigs, interviewing, email/messaging back and forth, the actual work, and any adjustments once the project is finished, your hourly rates ends up in the gutter.

I thought I was doing well charging $60/hour, but when I included fees, taxes, and the TOTAL amount of time I spent finding, securing, and completing a project, I was making about $15 per hour. For the stress, I was better off working in a call center for the same rate.

>You are ALWAYS working
It doesn't stop. You are always working and you are never working. You have to be able to take a gig at moments notice. Vacations are hard unless you want to sit on your laptop the whole time.

Happy to answer any questions I have probably encountered your situation before.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.