[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

College SCAM

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: 1301764679__funtoo_009.jpg (46KB, 640x370px) Image search: [Google]
1301764679__funtoo_009.jpg
46KB, 640x370px
How do you know when you shouldn't be in college?

I ask as someone who wants to go deeper in math than Tyrone was in your mom, and have considered the idea of a career in academia, but I know it won't pay off. I can program, and I don't need a degree to prove that.

I really enjoy college, but I know I could be learning all this on my own, or spending this time developing a programming portfolio.
>>
>>1762449
College isn't just about learning the material.
It's about building connections, developing your network, acquiring social capital through prestige and your association with your alma mater. You also come into contact with recruiters from industry and it's much easier to land a job if you're in a feeder school than an unproven high school kid.
>>
>>1762580
This. It's less about the learning, and more about who you learn from, and how well you can build connections.
>>
>>1762580
>le connections meme
>>
>>1762449
I was a mathematics major.

I ended up as an actuary. If you want to make money afterwards, you need the degree. Just do it. Get the degree and get the hell out.

You won't learn math there. The good stuff is paced too fast and taught all wrong. Just study Rudin for Analysis, Munkres for Topology, and Artin for Algebra. Those 3 books are worth your bachelor's degree in math. If you really want to go deeper than that, choose a more specific subject like Algebraic Topology or Differential Geometry or Functional Analysis or something and go get books specifically on that. But the foundation always comes back to Analysis, Algebra, Topology so get those down first. College will teach you it but for me at least it was not helpful. And I went to one of the nicer Ivy League schools.
>>
>>1762600
Your classmates will be working in F500 companies in the future and keeping in touch can mean great exit opportunities.
Your professors are consultants and have their own network of friends in industry. They can literally get you a job if they like you enough.
You can enter a mentorship program and the university will assign you an alumnus working in the industry right now.

In business at the very least, it's not about whether you can do the job. A motivated high schooler can do 90% of all jobs. It's about your personality and your character.

Unrelated to this but many professions REQUIRE a degree in order to get licensed and practice, i.e. accountants, lawyers, architects, engineers, doctors, nurses, etc.
>>
>>1762580
hes not doing a liberal arts major, the 'its about the experince' does not apply anymore, it takes more than just showing up to the exam to get a passing grade
>>
>>1762619
I'm sorry but what the fuck was your point? What are you trying to say?
>>
>>1762608
Thanks for the recs, I already feel like they force breadth over depth and it annoys the hell out of me.

Did you consider grad school? Hows the actuary life?

>>1762580
I'm in community college right now, should I still be treating it like it's for what you listed? I know the obvious answer is yes because there's no downside to treating every situation like that, but I personally don't see it happening at community college.
>>
File: img13.jpg (1MB, 3840x1200px) Image search: [Google]
img13.jpg
1MB, 3840x1200px
>>1762616
>In business at the very least,...... It's about your personality and your character.

Then why work for someone else to start with? You're living you're whole life to try to impress other people just to go do work for somebody else, according to their personal opinions.
>>
>>1762684
Not him, but the point I think he was trying to make is that if you are pursuing a STEM degree, particularly a mathematics degree, the degree is less about "signalling" and more about acquiring actual skills. Because of that, "muh connections" takes more of a backseat since no one wants to hire a statistician who struggles in long division.

I wouldn't toss out networking all together, but if you had to make a trade off between developing your social capital and your proficiency in what you're studying, STEM majors should always favor technical proficiency as that is the main source of their prestige.
>>
>>1762619
>just showimg up to the exam to get a passing grade
You can do that significantly easier in a non-humanities related field. Why do you think so many STEMfags who think they're "enlightened gentlemen" fail philosophy courses? They dont take it seriously and think their 4chan level freshman tier "hurr but how can you actually know that when Hume says ___" and then professors laugh at them or tell em that they need to cut the lower level bullshit. As someone who is double majoring in Philosophy as well, I don't know if I could count the number of STEM kids who think anything over 1,000 courses are going to be "easy A's" and then drop the class within the first month because it's more abstract and they can't keep up.

Autism makes writing papers hard for the STEM kids. And they're all so damn cocky too, at least until they get their midterm back with a 58% on it. Lel.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.