[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Handyman/Contractor One-Man Startup Viable?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

So I just found this board for the first time and I'm in a place in my life where I would like to start a small business and work for myself. I currently make around 65k being a network admin monkey and I'm tired of it. My true passion is working with my hands. I have been a volunteer builder for Habitat for Humanity for a few years now. I have remodeled the majority of my house and I've done a number of jobs for friends and family for no pay to learn the ropes. I'm experienced enough to do just about any cosmetic overhaul including drywall, painting, texturing, kitchen remodels, bathroom remodels, etc.

So how lucrative could this be? Just looking for a ballpark estimate, assuming I market well and have a steady number of jobs on a daily basis. I live in Texas and via Nextdoor, I see there is a huge shortage of handymen, carpenters, and small job contractors in my area. Could I fill this niche with no license and would it come close to the 65k I make currently?
>>
>>1758843
Taskrabbit

Thumbtack
>>
>>1758843

>no license
>no insurance
>no bond
>no one will hire you
>>
>>1759182
this

Work a summer with a carpentry crew. See if you really like the work. Volunteering on Saturday is a lot different than working.

I think you need a GC license (in my state you do). The test is not that hard from what I have heard.

You will need insurance. Anyone can sue you for anything.

Once you get in the business, befriend some home realtors. Pre-sale home inspections are extremely lucrative. You have minimal liability since you add notes such as "I could not access anything because the drywall was hung, therefore I can not state the condition of your house"
>>
>>1759182
Wrong. I've worked in construction, electric work, painting, custom cabinetry/woodworking.

People don't care about this shit unless they are American and not in the trades. You can find a lot of work if you offer high quality work at low prices. It's really not that hard considering you're competing against literal high school dropouts.
>>
>>1760298

OP said:

>I live in Texas

(You) said:

>People don't care about this shit unless they are American and not in the trades.

Again:

>I live in Texas

I presume OP will not be doing unlicensed contractor work for master carpenters.

In summation, you're fucking retarded.
>>
>>1758843

A good tradesman should make at least $50k a year.

Tile guy here. After my expenses I end up taking home about $50 per hour for my labor.

It's not so hard to start up these days. Print some business cards, make a little website, etc and you are up and running.
>>
>>1760266
A friend of mine has a home inspection business. Does well 9 months of the year and barely works. Charges I think $500 an inspection and only travels in a 1 hour radius.

I have a friend that is a union carpenter and his brother is also something similar. They used to do side work for extra cash. They stopped doing it because the customers are really a PITA to deal with.
>>
File: 1481475974975.jpg (16KB, 500x322px) Image search: [Google]
1481475974975.jpg
16KB, 500x322px
I sympathies to your back and knees in 10 years
>>
I have been looking for someone wanting to invest in my team and our business. I could use your passion if that is really what you have...

email me at

[email protected]
>>
>>1758843

Not sure, I know tradesmen are really anal about their unions

Also 80% of this board doesn't know shit about business

they are just ironically posting from behind layers of shell companies and jewish tricks
>>
Cali here. make 14 an hour with shit experience. you can expect to make up to 35 an hour if the work you do isnt electrical. I wouldnt recommend learning electric on your own, that could get you killed.

To answer your question, when you get good you are going to end up close to 65k a year but no. you wont be making that and you'll be doing laborous work for 40 hours a week almost every week for the year.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.