[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm in my first year of uni and planning on joining a society

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

I'm in my first year of uni and planning on joining a society next year to increase my chance of getting a good placement in my third year. The issue is none of the societies look interesting or fitting for me except the Muay Thai society. Will this help my chances despite the fact it isn't an "academic" society?
>>
How does society membership affect the likelihood of getting a placement?
>>
Define "society". Define "placement".

I don't know what these are. Placement for what? Are societies just campus clubs?
>>
>>1756872
They say its good as they show willingness to self improve, join in in extra curricular activities, ect.

>>1756881
Society is pretty much campus clubs and teams, so Debate Club, SciFi Society, Rockclimbing, Rugby, anything like that.
>>
>>1756738
Nobody cares about muay Thai or whatever the fuck.

Join the economics club, or the business club or something actually related to what you want to get into.
>>
>>1756919
And "placement"? Is that for some type of work release program that your school has?
>>
>>1756940
It's an internship you can have for a year before your final year basically
>>
>>1756951
Ok, so now that I've dragged all of the facts out of you, my advice is to do Muai Thai (which is awesome btw) but also do something business-oriented.

But take it seriously, don't just do it for show. The reason why you're not interested in other things is probably because you've never invested any time into it. Who knows, you may learn something new and it might open your mind up a bit more to new possibilities.
>>
>>1756881
I'm almost positive OP is a Britfag.

Socities are academic, sporting, social etc groups that are generally run by students with the approval and support of the university on a non-profit basis.

Placements are internships.
>>
>>1756919
I can certainly recommend getting involved with uni socs, but that's more for the fun/recreational/social benefits. There'll be be very little that you'll be able to shove into a CV aside from simply demonstrating that you do more than wank in your spare time.

I mean, I really got into karate when I was at uni, but did that help me get a physics lab placement? Did it fuck, in fact arguably it was distracting me from hitting the books like I ought to.

But anyway, do it, but for yourself. Not as a box-ticking exercise or a CV space-filler. University is one of the biggest cons going but one of the areas it represents great value for money is being able to meet a wide cross section of people and have a go at everything from debating philosophy to skydiving to learning a foreign language. Get yourself out there and make yourself interesting, you whippersnapper.
>>
>>1756738
join a muay thai gym outside of school if u actually wanna be good which im guessing u don't. just join some business related shit and stay the fuck away from combat sports u faggot
>>
>>1757241
I am interested in it, I boxed before Uni but there is no decent BJJ/Mauy Thai/MMA gyms in town, so I have to make do.
>>
Seriously, those societies are a waste of time. You should be doing the ones related to your career path.

They're the equivalent to just playing world of warcraft. It won't impress anyone, but if you're going to do it, then don't do more than 1.5 hours per week.
>>
>>1757310
Physical Activity is a waste of time?
>>
>>1757310
if youre going to train muay thai less than 2 hrs a week u might as well not do it. shut the fuck up. i train 25 hrs a week and am still richer than ur faggot ass
>>
OP, don't listen to these people, they know nothing.

Of course nobody intelligent thinks leadership positions in these things is some huge achievement.

But OF COURSE the graduate job interviewers, mainly normie HR plebs searching for normies, LOVE this sort of thing.

Unless it's some ridiculously dumb thing, a leadership position in these things is a big boost for your CV. They don't have to be academic. But maybe look at a non sports one as well in case you hate the sport
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.