[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If not metals, oil, or "faith"; What el$e?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

File: Carlyle_Group.png (206KB, 2000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Carlyle_Group.png
206KB, 2000x1000px
Hey /biz/,

Excuse any /pol/ that may fall out.

I have been wondering about Constitutional money, at least in 'Murika. In Article One it specifically states that the Government has the power to coin money; and elsewhere it mentions that Gold and Silver shall only be acceptable payment for debt. Pennies, nickels, both made of metal not ordained - yet we use them for payment. Maybe there is a hope, not all payments are made in the name of debt?

The fiat thing is getting rough, okay. So what do we use instead? I dig metals as much as the next Youtuber, but I also wonder what other commodities we could base our money off of: corn, hemp, fat, airplanes?

Would foreign nations base their currencies off of, their own productions?

Hopefully our combined brain power comes up with something better than . . .
>Oil

Or,

Conspiracy aside, regarding pic, anyone else looked into, this "jem", $CG
>>
>>1755483
Fiat currency is fine, commodities are a dead meme.
>>
>>1755485
Fiat can only go so far. What good is a Reserve Bank if the reserve holds infinite? Money is valued at such a level that it is equal to the replicators in Star Trek, a position I could advocate for. Fiat's infinite supply goes against the principles of supply and demand.

In monied society perhaps Gold and Silver, and Copper, are the best resources to utilize as money.

What about a food crop?
>Shit harvest. Currency collapse?
A market is formed to try and moderate the commodity and thus the currency. All nations trade together.
>Start basing utilized currency values on next decades harvest.
Might as well just ignore the hard commodity and base the price on what we think it should be. Feels.

Feels are the commodity for fiat, commodities are a dead meme, fiat is a dead meme. Are feelings and thoughts commodities? Are ideas commodities?

Perhaps we should stop using money all together. And trade in the commodity of trust.
>>
>>1755483
buttcoins the magic monies.
>>
>>1755515
You're simply uninformed. The fiat money of each country holds a value relative to its supply and demand which is determined by the market like anything else. As long as people want to invest in the US, dollars will be in demand, if people want to buy US products or have their money saved in US finance, the value of the dollar will reflect this.

Everyone who engages in trade involving dollars has a vested interest that dollars retain value. There are billions of human beings who for simple reasons would never just tip their fedora and say the dollar is worthless money. Because they too want to exchange money for goods and services.

Fiat currency is already backed, its backed by every function of the US economy, any good or service can be traded for that dollar thus giving it value. The only way fiat currency becomes worthless is hyperinflation printing, which doesn't happen in first world countries, and complete destruction of the economy.

If investors flee from the dollar the fact the fiat dollar has no value will be the least of your problems as the US has somehow become a mad max wasteland.
>>
File: f73.gif (146KB, 600x457px) Image search: [Google]
f73.gif
146KB, 600x457px
>>1755516
My friend I Binged Buttcoin, I am quite alarmed. The moneyhood of these underprivileged commodities, blips of light, forgotten 0s and 1s threatens the moneyhood of all things.

We must face the truth; money is no good, even the magic variety.
>>
File: 1484978471441.jpg (1MB, 2399x1354px) Image search: [Google]
1484978471441.jpg
1MB, 2399x1354px
>>1755520
>" . . . holds a value relative to its supply and demand . . ."

This only works when supply is finite. Demand is always infinite; so the "true market" price adjusts and all that. But with Fiat, at least the version currently practiced, the supply is also infinite. Soo, the market price is also infinite?

>As long as people want to invest in the US, dollars will be in demand,"

Isn't cash the worst investment one can make? If I want to invest in a country should I buy a bunch of their currency, or should I buy stuff, build stuff, fix stuff?

>if people want to buy US products or have their money saved in US finance, the value of the dollar will reflect this.

Since the value of the dollar is infinite, this means stocks and bonds valued in dollars are infinite. Good thing we invest.

Yes, money facilitates trade, and without it trade across nation states wouldn't occur as easily. Perhaps, if we all stopped wanting so much as to require all this trade the world would be a better place. See what I did there, tehe.

>Fiat currency is already backed, its backed by every function of the US economy.

Fiat is indeed backed; by faith. The Dollar isn't backed by the US Government, it's backed by faith that the US Government will be there tomorrow, and the next day, and the next. It's backed by the fact that the US Government doesn't buy back all the worthless cotton, and replace it with real money of equal value.

>If investors flee from the dollar the fact the fiat dollar has no value will be the least of your problems as the US has somehow become a mad max wasteland

Fiat money needs Government, Government does not need fiat money. A compromise, what about a fixed commodity reserve? That way there can be enough of the fiat to circulate, and the money is based on something real, and the faith is still there!

Since the cotton is only backed by faith, and we trade in faith, why not get rid of the middle man; dump money.
>>
My grandmother wanted me to look into CG for her. What do you see, anon?

I see posted losses.
>>
>>1755556
Whether you have faith in their "stability" or not, fiat currencies will continue to be the most traded and relied on type of currency because of their ability to be flexible assets and their ubiquity in the market. As I don't expect geopolitical conflict in any great terms any time soon, money will always be taken if offered.

If you have to think about other types assets think in terms of what society needs to survive. Energy is necessary for everything, so oil, coal, gas, etc are top tier. Second are infrastructure materials, agriculture and food production fall neatly in those lines as well. Finally on smaller but still valuable terms are precious metals and jewels, things only a wealthy few can afford but are willing to be bought nonetheless.
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.