[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Supply and Demand

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: Money.jpg (17KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
Money.jpg
17KB, 275x183px
Hey /biz/

Im taking an introductory level economics course, and have some questions about the basic law of supply and demand.

Supply goes up as price goes up, correct? But if I own my own business, I am setting the prices. So if I raise the price of an item, wouldn't it be risky to supply more, because less people would buy the item at a higher price, no? I would have just wasted a lot of money on an item that isn't selling.

Also, a tax question. If a business sees that income taxes go up, they would have to lower prices to not lose customers that now have less money. So the consumer loses money to taxes, but 'gains' money when stores mark down prices. So wouldn't raising taxes help the overall economy if you lose money, but the power of your money goes up?
>>
price goes up as supply goes down

think of it like a rare pokemon card
>>
The best answer is that as supply goes down, price goes up.

If you and your competition have 1,000 items and 500 customers, you have to lower prices to incentivise customers to buy your over someone else's. If you and your comp have 100 items and 500 customers, then if a customer wants to get one the have to be will ing to pay more than everyone else in order to get it. Prices are rarely ever set by you, they are set (theoretically) by your competition and customers.
>>
>>1755138
Supply is the supply of every firm on the market not just your firm. Also in the simple two line model they show you it is assumed that it is a competitive market so you changing the price is irrelevant as all the goods are the same. Only monopolies can set prices on their products. If for example some technology change increases the amount of tomatoes all firms can produce, this is a increase in supply that reduces the price as they are easier to make and more numerous. If all the crops get wiped out that is a reduction in overall supply and firms must take a higher price to remain in business.

No the tax's burden is split between the consumer and the producer. The producer raises the price some fraction which is given to the consumer, further a lower quantity of goods is produced because the tax raised the equilibrium price. This lower quantity of goods available to consumers has caused a loss of wealth in society.
>>
>>1755138
lol do they just let any idiot into college these days?

no wonder a bachelors aint worth anyone anymore
>>
>>1755138
>Also, a tax question. If a business sees that income taxes go up, they would have to lower prices to not lose customers that now have less money. So the consumer loses money to taxes, but 'gains' money when stores mark down prices. So wouldn't raising taxes help the overall economy if you lose money, but the power of your money goes up?

Taxes are a very complex issue and you can't generalise statements like that. It's not a closed system, e.g. what does the government do with the increased revenue through the higher income tax? If the increase spending in the local economy it might just be a net neutral.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.