[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"Does Bitcoin Hedge Global Uncertainty?"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: givemeyourcash.png (19KB, 701x303px) Image search: [Google]
givemeyourcash.png
19KB, 701x303px
http://www.up.ac.za/media/shared/61/WP/wp_2016_90.zp105924.pdf
>The main objective of this study was to examine whether Bitcoin can act as a hedge against global uncertainty...
>Specifically, we used a global measure of market uncertainty based on the common component, that is the first principal component of the VIXs of 14 developed and developing stock markets. Besides using raw returns, we used wavelets to decompose Bitcoin returns into its various frequencies, that is, investment horizons. The results from standard OLS regressions showed that uncertainty negatively affects raw Bitcoin returns, with the effect on raw returns emanating at longer investment horizons. Given the heavy tails of the variables, we next applied quantile methods that are more appropriate and useful to detect left and right tail dependence. Quantile regressions indicated that Bitcoin does act as a hedge against uncertainty, that is, it reacted positively to it at higher quantiles, especially at shorter investment horizons. Finally, when we used QQ regressions, we observed that hedging is observed at both lower and upper ends of Bitcoin returns and global uncertainty, but again primarily at shorter investment horizons. Our findings highlight the importance of not only decomposing Bitcoin returns into its various investment horizons but also, more importantly, the role of accommodating for estimation methods that incorporate information from quantiles for both Bitcoin returns and global uncertainty. Thus, unlike conditional-meanbased results, Bitcoin is shown to serve as a hedge against uncertainty at the extreme ends of the Bitcoin market and global uncertainty, but at shorter investment horizons. Therefore, short-horizon investment in Bitcoin can help investors hedge global equity market uncertainty, especially when the market is functioning in bear and bull regimes and also when uncertainty is either low or high.
>>
>Does Bitcoin Hedge Global Uncertainty? Evidence from Wavelet-Based Quantile-in-Quantile Regressions

Thoughts from my esteemed colleagues at /biz/?
>>
>>1754142
Goin 2 da moon goy
>>
>>1754141
maybe but this also means that when everything goes all right btc will slump for years and years.
>>
>>1754141
>Does Bitcoin Hedge Global Uncertainty?
No.
>>
>>1754141
I think it does the opposite
the only reason people would use bitcoin over real money is to evade taxes/capital gains, or hide ill gotten gains.
(these are all things people do when everything is going great)
>>
>>1754141
>Does Bitcoin Hedge Global Uncertainty?
Nope, but chinese
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.