[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

CFA or Masters in Finance

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: uWbs1c7.jpg (108KB, 477x641px) Image search: [Google]
uWbs1c7.jpg
108KB, 477x641px
Is the CFA better than a masters? Experience is of course more valuable than both but if you're on a budget, and don't have any experience, is the CFA a good place to start in breaking into the investment banking industry?

Having obtained a 2:1 in Business Management from a high to mid tier British University, my plan was to get the CFA level 1 this June, taking advantage of the multiple networking events offered along the way, and then target internship and graduate programs for 2018.

Is this a decent strategy or am I wasting my time /biz/
>>
>>1752650
As someone who failed CFA lvl2 many times, I can tell you education is great if you can afford to pay someone to hold your hand while you do it. At some point you'll either pass or get old and stop caring. I'm posting on 4chan guess which one I am
>>
>>1752689

Is it that much harder? Most of the material I studied at University. However I guess the difficulty lies in the breath and depth, but also the balance of life with studying. I've left my shitty job to focus on this and start a paper account to develop my understanding of the markets. Are you still working whilst studying anon?
>>
>>1752650
I got my charter after passing L3 in June. It's probably more respected within a narrower range of jobs, but there are a lot of people who have never heard of it.

I don't have a masters so I can't really compare the two in terms of difficulty, but from what I have heard most people seem to think CFA is "harder". I have always been a good test taker so fortunately I didn't fail at all, but they are certainly the most difficult tests I have ever taken. There isn't any material that I would consider extremely difficult conceptually, so the difficulty really comes from the sheer amount you need to remember for each exam.
>>
>>1752695
>Are you still working whilst studying anon?
Yeah feelsbad.jpg
>>
>>1752650
Do you have the job you want?
>No
Get an MSF
>Yes
Get CFA to help yourself be more marketable.

CFA is only useful in research or AM so take it with a grain of salt.

If you go for a MSF, go top tier or dont waste your time/money and save for a top tier MBA.
>>
>>1752702
where do you work now? big bank? what's your salary like if you don't mind..

planning on getting my bachelor and then in 3rd year get an internship at an IB, write level one exam in year 3, finish school and get a job at the IB and then finish my CFA.. thoughts?
>>
I am on L3 and have an MSF. You will learn a shit ton more through the CFA, but there is less exposure to research in finance, programming, stats, advanced financial math, etc..

On the other hand there has been a lot I have learned thru the CFA program that I didn't in school. I wasn't a finance student as an undergrad, though, and I probably wouldn't have gotten to where I am without it. It will be a huge pain in the ass if you aren't a finance student or if you aren't able to independently study.
>>
>>1753367
You don't need CFA for IB
>>
CFA and MBA is a good combo

im in MBA due to take level 1 in June. level 2 is where life gets shitty though, but if you want a career in finance, its stuff you want to know anyway

CFA alone will eventually get you 6 figs.
>>
Who else here
>Congratulations!
Email this morning?
Mine didn't come in until just now and I was stressed as fuck.
>>
>>1754293
Yes, it is a good combo. STEM plus MBA plus CFA here. Looks pretty good on my cv.

>>1752702
Congrats. I passed in 2015 after many fails. It really is all about the sheer volume of things. Put in enough effort and time and you will pass. If not, fail. Simple as that.
>>
>>1753367
Fuck you chink
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.