[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Student Debt Bubble

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

File: debt.png (24KB, 615x450px) Image search: [Google]
debt.png
24KB, 615x450px
Student debt MUST be in a bubble, shit is so out of control, it has to burst soon.

All these loans to the degenerates who will absolutely never pay them back. Couple that with the impending millennial "resistance" to the government, and the word sub-prime doesn't even begin to describe these loans There must be a way to profit.

How do we short it?
>>
>>1752232
you have one hell of a good point. Too bad I have no clue how to do it.
>>
>>1752232
My loans are deffered down to $0 / month ;^)

No really, they still send me the bill every month for $0.
>>
>>1752605
Thanks, wish this board had more discussions. I should have put more >CAPSLOCK and Belfort pics in my OP.

Does anybody know if student loans are sold to invenstment bankers in the same way that mortgage backed securities were?

My understanding is groups of mortgages would be sold to an investment group as CDO's, and these CDO's are what was shorted against. Are student loans grouped together in the same manner that mortgages are?
>>
>>1752232
>All these loans to the degenerates who will absolutely never pay them back.
Most of those students will subsequently be in the workforce for decades, and will earn a higher than average amount, so what makes you think they'll never pay the loans back?
>>
>>1752792
How can it be higher than average when everyone gas a degree?
>>
>>1752618
How do you do this? I only make $14.40 an hour and still pay $75 a month.
>>
>>1752818
He lives in Europe.
>>
>>1752232
is this for real?

buy their debt... those lenders eventually get the money one way or the other. they will just take your entire tax return each year.
>>
>>1752232
interesting

it can be cause of the next crisis
>>
>>1752792
But a lot are dropouts that never get a degree or if they do its in east german literature and they work at Starbucks.
>>
>>1752232
OP what references do you have for this theory? If it has some weight to it ill actually look into it
>>
Idk Student loan debt is pretty much a slave collar. They will pursue you til death, garnish your wadges, your retirement, etc. Just no escape. Not the same as the housing bubble i don't think
>>
>>1752823
No I dont

>>1752818
I forget the exact name of it but its an income based plan offered by Nelnet which manages my loans. I make $15 / hour full time

The downside is that in ~30 years my loans are forgiven, but it all counts as "taxable income" that year
>>
>>1752847

you really did your research did ya
>>
>>1752618

Yeah for the first however many months after you graduate. After that you'll have to start paying.
>>
>>1752916
But... its been 5 years...

Thats the general grace period that everybody gets that youre thinking of
>>
>>1752232
it's mostly due to the increase in cost of post secondary education and cost of living near a decent school.
>>
it'll take a while for the bubble to burst

college grads make about a million dollars more than high school grads on average, meaning college payments will have to reach almost that same amount before the bubble can burst

and thats ignoring the fact that a lot of college kids have their parents pay portions of their tuitions
>>
>>1752232
I wonder what happened in 2002? I'm assuming a chunk of the male population joined the military after 9/11 and therefore the number of loans dipped?
>>
If somehow Trump could think of a way to maybe offer a trade like people can give up their T-Bills in exchange for student debt writeoffs, maybe some upper middle class uncle who has a assload of T-Bills could use them to pay for college debt for their sons. Just an idea, not a expert.

The general gist is that debt the US government owes citizens can be written off for student loans. Therefore making a even trade with no extra debts added.
>>
>>1752232
They are government bckd they are going to be stable longer than anyone cares and can calculate
>>
>>1752232
They are backed by the government. The only way for them to burst is if the government itself bursts.
>>
File: 1484359197656.png (276KB, 1580x746px) Image search: [Google]
1484359197656.png
276KB, 1580x746px
>>1753008

That is from data collected before the great college degree inflation era. There are now too many people, paying to much money, for degrees that are functionally useless to any employer that is using it as no more than a shitty IQ gauge.

College used to be the domain of the top 5% of society. The smartest and most driven were the only ones to go. If you weren't smart or talented you would fail classes and get kicked out. Now it is a hate crime for for the latest affirmative action case to get an F in a remedial high school-level math class.
>>
>>1752855
It's just circumstantial. The millenials are straddled with too much debt, and are unable/unwilling to get jobs in their field to pay. This, coupled with the fact that they are desperately trying to find a way to resist the Trump presidency, and I see a pretty rich recipe for collapse.

I mean, they're giving $100k debt to 18 year old kids, how could that go right?

>>1753024
Not so farfetched. Trump is going to be trying to come up with lots of ways for the government to sell some of it's debt. Selling student loans might be on his radar. THAT'S when shorting will become entirely within reach.

>>1753028
>>1753030
So if the government began to sell that debt, say as a Trump revitalization method, the burst could be within reach.

>>1752885
It's unsustainable, can't shackle all the millions. Especially if a "movement" the pushes non-payment occurs. You never know what kind of "protest" these people might come up with.

>>1753016
That's an excellent theory. Maybe tuition prices froze as well, since that was about the time credit got SUPER cheap and the housing market started to boom.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.