[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Your opinion on Mathematical proficiency for trading?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: blahblah.jpg (785KB, 1180x842px) Image search: [Google]
blahblah.jpg
785KB, 1180x842px
For trading the general idea is that being good at it is a game of knowing markets and knowing math with a whole lot of experience accumulating over time to serve as the cement. Markets represent the knowledge of trading instruments, different styles of analysis, risk management, emotional control, and the more holistic although still sometimes quantitative aspect of tradings. Math is obviously the math. I consider myself pretty good at math (I've never run into a concept I couldn't learn given enough time) but the field of math is enormous and I have never used anything above maybe absolute basic calculus in my trading operations and even then more as a way of conceptualizing ideas than actually differentiating or integrating. In fact, I think I use statistics more than anything. Nevertheless, I have some free time to develop myself a bit further and was wondering is it really worth pressing much further past calc or would my time be better spent delving into something like programming or touching up on stats? With what I know right now, I do around 20%+ per year with an average drawdown size ~5%, but I want to push myself further.
>>
>>1739251
>game of knowing markets and knowing math
nobody can know the market it's pretty much random because there are too many inputs that are random.

math will help you sure, but it's really elementary math you need. calculating compound interest (or costs) is the omega of all /biz/ calculations.
>>
if u look into a lot of interviews with sucessful traders/investors (penny stock short term up to buffet) they dont know any math

and on the flipside the math heavy quants just automate basic TA and fundamental concepts so they dont add anything to the trading side

not sure what im getting at but theyre all idiots, dont worry about maxing out on math
>>
If you were smart you would pay some nerd to do your math for you
>>
>>1739351
Yea in this case "markets" as I'm using the term is more of a sweep term including for example the components and most useful combinations of an options contract, different ways to hedge different risks, the way margin works in a futures account, the idea of controlling the maximum risk on any given position, developing a theory on an edge and then testing it to check its statistical validity, etc, less so than predicting fluctuations or the reasons for those fluctuations. I agree though and believe the idea is important enough to cite just in case anyone would read what I said and believe they could develop some way of predicting the future. I only attempted to predict the future and was often surprised and confused when I was just as often wrong in my early days of trading. Thanks for your input and everyone else's as well.
>>
you don't need math, let the nerds figure out the models and leading indicators. All you need to learn is how to apply them, familiarize yourself with stochastics, macd, rsi, bolinger bands, 8 exp. ma and most importantly candlesticks. once you overlay these indicators, and do some psychedelics, then you'll be rocking and rolling. cheers. oh also, you need a steel gut and the right amount of apathy.
>>
>>1741083
>different ways to hedge different risks
not that fucking meme again!
financial advisors cling to every fucking straw to validate their pitiful meaningless parasitic existence.
>>
>>1741083
Find value companies, buy values companies. Break down balance sheet, value the company and share price. break down income statement and look for company growth, spend some time looking at the cash flow statement, and read up on earnings calls.. Very basic math involved
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.