[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What type of business could give a hard-working individual a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

File: medieval-merchant.jpg (77KB, 556x406px) Image search: [Google]
medieval-merchant.jpg
77KB, 556x406px
What type of business could give a hard-working individual a small fortune? I'm looking for a kind of 'rise up by the boot-straps' kind of rags-to-riches opportunity. Think of the periods of history in which the merchant class would thrive greatly, and people could make small fortunes by simply moving spice. One parallel that comes to mind is the finance industry, but it seems that finance is uber competitive and difficult to get into. I heard that many industrialists are taking advantage of African lands under local conflict, taking its natural resources. Thoughts? Concerns? Discuss.
>>
Bumping...
>>
This is also a question of mine 18 and dont really know what I want to do with my life. Some guy told me africa is ripe for entrepreneurs but I dont know.
>>
>>1738179
Join the military, save money for 15 years and then retire and do whatever you want
>>
File: content_family.jpg (193KB, 1024x819px) Image search: [Google]
content_family.jpg
193KB, 1024x819px
>>1738179
Exactly. I have a 'safety net' career to fall back on that I'm studying for right now, but I don't know if it will make me a small fortune. I would like to have a respectable amount of capital by the time I'm old. Perhaps a net worth of $10M, so nothing extraordinary, but enough to ensure the future of my children and grandchildren.
>>
>>1738192
Although, to be frank, a net worth of $40M+ would be pretty great. ;)
>>
>>1738185
Till I die in some pointless war.
>>
File: giphy.gif (873KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
873KB, 320x180px
You guys are over thinking this whole concept. Literally any industry is open to competition and you can make plenty of money by doing this one simple thing:

ACTUALLY DO SOMETHING

Come up with a plan. It doesn't have to be grandiose. Let's think of something simple like mowing lawns. Work hard, acquire and retain customers, buy more equipment, hire employees, expand services offered, etc. etc.

The problem most people face is they sit there daydreaming of these get rich quick fly by night ideas or they get inspired by some youtube video they saw at 3 in the morning. Give it another week and they're on to MLM's and cryptos. Next week it's affiliate marketing and importing from china.

Literally any of those ideas can work, but you have to finally "sack up" and COMMIT to something. Put all your effort into learning, planning and then fully executing that plan. Write an actual business plan out for something. Take it to a Business Development Center in your town. These are places that are low cost to free that consult small business owners or wanabees and help them through the entire process. You won't find financing. Plan things like that. Don't hinge your entire business on being able to get a million dollar loan cause it aint gonna happen. If you don't have the money to start your business, then start smaller.

You don't need types of businesses or ideas, you all need a kick in the ass to get the ball rolling.
>>
>>1738212
I suppose not relying on financing is the most realistic thing to do, but I wonder how much of my time would be wasted by starting *too* small. Sure, I understand that we need to take baby steps first, but one wouldn't want to spend valuable time doing something that caps out very low in terms of its diminishing returns.

I like your emphasis on commitment, though.
>>
The equivalent these days is very analytical and requires a lot of mental hard work. The spice trade of olde is comparable to studying in accounting or some other mentally demanding but ultimately learnable skillset like engineering or law or pharmacy (and so on). Just think about it as hours spent dedicated rather than the specific skills required and it makes sense.
>>
File: ass.jpg (176KB, 1242x1535px) Image search: [Google]
ass.jpg
176KB, 1242x1535px
>>1738230
Thanks for the reply
>>
>>1738212
humans instinctively avoid drudgery
>>
>>1738228
http://www.salon.com/2006/01/18/pooper_scoopers/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/07/11/AR2010071102977.html

http://money.usnews.com/money/blogs/my-money/2012/03/15/5-people-who-turned-1000-into-1-million
>>
>>1738261
Good insight, ty
>>
>>1738212
Best advice posted here
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.