[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Freelance websites

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 2

File: humanatic1.jpg (49KB, 390x312px) Image search: [Google]
humanatic1.jpg
49KB, 390x312px
Hello. Let me put you in context.
I live in Venezuela, yes, you know it, the communist shithole.
Minimum wage here is 20USD a MONTH. Yes, what you could earn working in McDonalds in USA in 2-3 hours.
Due to my high proficency in english, I started to develop as a translator in the website Unbabel. It stopped being profitable for me since it could pass more than a month without a single task.

Now I'm currently working at Humanatic. Earning pennies for calls. I'm doing 30USD per week. I'm earning more than both of my parents together. I can live on it in my country, but I'm planing to leave the country, and I'll need way more money in order to buy a plane ticket and survive a month or two while I find a job in the country I'll be (Argentina).

Can you tell me any other good and profitable freelance website for me? I signed up at Upwork but I've got nothing there yet.

>tl;dr OP wants to know freelance websites in order to earn money and leave commie shithole
>>
>>1735140
Yeah, Upwork is the best there is.

I don't understand Spanish, but I understand the Venezuelan and Colombian accents are the best sounding accents/dialects in the language.

You seem to not be retarded, you could probably write political articles or pieces on the behalf of news media agencies directly.

Sorry you live in your shithole. I think, inevitably, you will have the government you deserve.
>>
>>1735146
Thanks for your good wishes. The problem with Upwork is that I really need a starter job to ge the snowball rolling. Would be anybody in here that uses Upwork and could employ me?
>>
>>1735140
maybe fiverr?
about humanatic, how much hours of work per week does it take you to make 30USD?
>>
>>1735234
Around 10 hours per day. 5 days a week.
I've been in working in that website for 3 weeks. Every week I'm doing a little bit more.

I'm looking at Fiverr, it's basically like Upwork, right? I'll sign up to see if I have more luck there.
>>
Sites like Upwork/Freelancer/Humantic work on a paid promotion system. Basically, they will bump up your profile to the top of the list of searchable freelancers if you agree to give them a cut of the pay you receive for a job, or pay in advance like some sort of exclusive members only club. It's how they as a business survive; offering up unpaid adspace for the people that sign up for their site does not pay server costs/corporate fees and the like.

So what they end up doing is shoving the unpaid accounts down to the bottom, regardless of their skill levels or qualifications. You could be a literal retard, but pay the fee and they will put you on a golden fucking pedestal near the very top.

The only people these sites work for are people who are willing to put up with those fines to get themselves out there. I know this sounds cringy, but the buzzword "superstar" comes to mind; only the best of the best can actually thrive on these sites but that begs the question of why they don't have a proper job in the field. For some there is a cost/benefit factor; the quality of their work will suffer for speed, but some sites (i know freelancer does this for sure) will actually decrease their take if the job posted is delivered ahead of schedule. It's an incentive to rush your work just so they can "reward" you with a smaller tax. This gets you "brownie points" so you can remain near the top of the list of view-able bids. For others, jobs can go on for so long that it triggers a tax increase to punish you for taking so long (this happened to me once and was the reason i quit doing online freelance from these freelance crowdsourcing sites) that ultimately the payout was around 25% of what i was supposed to be paid.
>>
>>1735287
I know that's the case with Upwork, but you don't have the option to pay for benefits in Humanatic.

Either way, I do understand what you're saying. What I'm earning right now is totally shit if you compare it to any decent country's minimum wage, but hey, in my country it's a huge bliss, so I want to take advantage of it as far as I can.
>>
>>1735300

Feel free to keep working on it, if it helps build a portfolio for whatever it is that you do then go for it my dude. All i'm saying is just be aware of the fact that they try to game you for their benefit, which isn't to say that it's a bad thing; capitalism do what capitalism gonna do.

But say after a year of doing this, look back at your successfully acquired bids and see how much of a cut they took out. It may not seem much in the short term of things; a small percentage of a job or a small payment up front to be gain more exposure here, a higher tax increase for a job that went on too long there.

But after a single year you can see how much you COULD have had if they weren't gaming you.

Once that fact actually makes itself apparent in your psyche and you've had enough of your current quality of life and want more for the quality of work you put in, that's when you branch out from freelance and start looking at real employment. You say you work as a translator; how proficient are you? Do you have an EFSET score on your resume (or CV, whichever you use)? Do you have alternative projects you work on in your own time either as a serious hobby or just for casual fun that makes use of your translating skill that you could mention in your resume? Do you have a social media account that you can market your skillset with, such as Twitter or Linkedin?

If you don't have any of these, i suggest working on that immediately. Online Freelance is borderline scraping the bottom of the barrel of desperation of using a skillset before one breaks and takes a job working in the general shitty peasant masses version of retail/hospitality type jobs that require no real skillset, just a body there to take orders. It's best not to be "comfortable" at this level, because it means you are perfectly fine with settling for far less than your worth as a person, much less the worth your skillset provides.

Good luck and I hope your efforts aren't in vain.
>>
I always thought Venezuela was beautiful and wanted to travel there. Maybe I can help. I need a website or two designed. email glennconsolidated at gmail dot com and we can talk price if you're interested.
>>
>>1735140
fiverr.com
>>
>>1735416
I'm totally looking for certificates and stuff that vouches for my knowledge. I want to do the IELTS (british council live test), but it costs around $300, and as you've read, that ain't easy money where I live! And all the money I make in humanatic goes directly for food, and it's still not enough.

I didn't know about EFSET and I'm doing it right now, thanks for that.

I will also create a Linkedin profile.

I really appreciate your input about the freelance overall picture and for guiding me a little bit.
>>
>>1735506

No problem, I like to steer as many people away from the online freelance mentality as possible since I speak from experience. Too much competition for such a small amount of pay; all in all it's the fight just to be seen on those sites that is the most time consuming part about the job if you actually get it. If you don't, then the effort was wasted. Since you mentioned you were leaving your country, i suggest looking at locations that utilize your translation skills. Metropolitan areas where corporate finance takes place always need translators on staff because English is a major requirement for international business ventures. If you can get to that level and if the company is big enough you can live a lavish lifestyle because often times you may need to travel if these companies need to do business overseas and need a translator to accompany them. The bigger these companies are, there is a high chance that translators are a needed part of their staff and you may even have co-workers who do the same thing you do, which is a good thing because it doesn't spread you so thin as having to be in multiple places multiple times per week. I think in Switzerland the investment banks have several fluent translators on site for these such occasions (since swiss banks are a haven for tax dodging among the world's elite corporate heads).

If you can get to Swiss bank translator level, you can say you've made it because they most likely get paid far more than what you could have ever done back home.
>>
I'll bump this thread again tomorrow because it has been very nutrient for me.
>>
lol i would be rich there with 100 buck a month jewtube channel

too bad i would get killed by shitskins
>>
OP don't believe the guy that was talking about upwork , I'm up 800 USD and haven't spend a single dime. Let me know if you are interested in some advice.
>>
>>1736281
good luck Venezufriend !
>>
>>1736441
You wouldn't be rich. You would be earning a shit ton more than 70% of the country, and rent a nice appartment, but never buy one. And yes, you'll probably get killed.
>>1736514
Is not about "not believing that guy". What he talks about is true, what happens is that most of the times we don't care. You didn't make 800 USD, but probably 1200 or something like that, but 800 is what was left for you. A guy I know that lives in my country has earned 10k within 2 years, and he's currently making around 200-300monthly, but this is because he found a "permanent boss" that always gives him tasks.

I'm willing to read any advice you got for me.
>>
>>1735140
Can't sign up for humanatic anymoore :c
>>
>>1735140
Have you tried websites like TranslatorsCafe or Proz? Or contacting translation agencies who need Spanish translators?
>>
>>1736636
No. As I've read, they close registrations from time to time. I guess you'll have to wait.
>>
Some more sites:

Translationdirectory
Onehourtranslation
Gengo
Peopleperhour
Guru
Freelancer

Maybe between all of those you can rack up some more bids?
>>
>>1736652
>>1736681
checking right now
>>
>>1735140
Learn to be a web developer so you can make more money
>>
could you please post an email address, i will probably need a few real estate descriptions translated from spanish to english soon
>>
>>1737121
[email protected]
>>
>>1735140
Good for you bro, all these entitled piece of american shit think they're too good to work in fast food.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.