[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do I make it in the freelancer business? I want to start

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 004_cover01_c.jpg (2MB, 2521x3600px) Image search: [Google]
004_cover01_c.jpg
2MB, 2521x3600px
How do I make it in the freelancer business?
I want to start doing some freelance translation stuff but I have no idea how to get my first job. do I just keep going to those shitty ass freelance websites and competing with chinks who charge less than $10 an hour until I randomly get my first job?
I'm pretty sure that if I land a couple of jobs then it'll get easier but I don't know how to get started.
Should I buy some certs? Or is that a fucking scam?
>>
>>1734239
You should, instead of asking retards on 4chan questions you already know the answer to, apply yourself.
>>
>>1734239
>do I just keep going to those shitty ass freelance websites and competing with chinks who charge less than $10 an hour until I randomly get my first job?
>I'm pretty sure that if I land a couple of jobs then it'll get easier but I don't know how to get started.

You answered your own question. Big surprise, you will probably have to work your way up.
>>
Look whether Gengo is hiring for your language pair, see if you can pass their tests. The rates for the standard jobs are low, but better than what you will get bidding against chinks. Upwork is meme. Once you feel confident enough to look for private clients and agencies to work with, go on translatorscafe.com.

Also, make a LinkedIn account and try to have as much of an online presence on translator sites and forums as possible.

Don't expect to earn much in the first year, you will only consistently earn more than $1k in your second year. I'm in the third year and earn about $2300/month. A lot also depends on the languages you are going to work with, they differ in demand and pay.
>>
>>1734245
>>1734260
Yeah, I know I'm supposed to work my way up, but I was just wondering if there was a safer way to land jobs than praying some randome upwork/freelancer guy hires you.

>>1734289
Awesome advice dude, thanks a lot.
How much did you make in your 1st year? I'm a poor student so anything in the $500/month range sounds reasonable enough to me.

Also can you give me some advice on building a portfolio? I was thinking about picking random pages from books and translating them so I can have something to show my clients. Does that sound like a good idea or would I be wasting my time?
>>
>>1734300
I also was a student when I started. In the first few months I earned between $300-500/month, at the end of the first year it was about $600-800/month.

I don't have a portfolio, I never was asked by anyone for samples of any past work. A lot of people and agencies will ask you to do small test translations before they hire you, though.

The only important thing is your CV. I wrote a fake CV when I started, actually, with experience I didn't have. It's most likely your first clients will be Chinks or Pajeets anyway and they don't check. After your first year, you can write a "real" CV with your actual experience.

Actually, you might want to read a few books about the industry before you start. I can recommend this: https://www.amazon.com/How-Succeed-as-Freelance-Translator/dp/1411695208
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.