[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Changing from employee to LLC, possibly

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

File: billbrasky.jpg (91KB, 1000x604px) Image search: [Google]
billbrasky.jpg
91KB, 1000x604px
Topic is using skills learned while working for someone else and then branching off.

I'm legally an environmental professional now (three years plus relevant cert). Most of my work is Phase I ESAs, which are a breeze if you know the local area fairly well. They run roughly 2k each (1400 for low bids, 2600 for complex sites, 3000-5000 for multi-building complexes 20+ stories tall). I figure if i do 20-25 per year, ill earn my current salary, any more would be a significant salary increase.

Has anyone here taken the slow step to moving towards a LLC after gaining exp? Basically, i'm curious if it is/was worth it to change to self-employed, or just waiting out another two years and changing employers.
>>
>>1732984

I did.

Start your own anything. Life is infinitely better. It's not that complicated. If what your industry is does not require much money then you have no excuse not to go online and form an LLC then print up some business cards.
>>
>>1732984
right off the bat you lose insurance, workman's comp, vacation time, overtime, and any other benefits you got as an employee.

your taxes increase by an automatic 7%+ on top of what you're already paying. Also since your salary will likely increase your taxes will too.

compare these costs to your current pay very carefully. In a lot of fields employees get paid well enough that it's not worth striking out on their own.

other than that, it's not a bad way to start. I'm an environmental contractor, I didn't start off like that but a person easily could.
>>
>>1733083
>that it's not worth striking out on their own.
shit. that was my gut feeling, but i havent run any numbers, mostly because im not sure what thenumbers are.

environmental contractor though, you referring to EPA or waste mgmt?
>>
>>1733095
>im not sure what thenumbers are.
we can go through them pretty easily. If you tell me what you get paid and what kind of benefits you get we can estimate what those are worth.

I work in industrial mining and water treatment primarily. I've completed environmental contracts for the EPA, BOR, USFS, and every major mining and mine engineering firm operating in North America.
>>
>>1733101
aw fuck. i applied for a mining job a while ago, took an interview and sperged. wish i had it, would have been 4 12s, rural mining town in northern nv, and was pretty much just about the retention ponds.

41k salary, 75% match on 7% salary 401k (should be like 5.25% salary match), 1200 christmas bonus. thats about it, aside from healthcare costs of like 50-55 per paycheck.
>>
>>1733112
Winnemucca?
>>
>>1733112
Nevada, huh? One of the cyanide gold projects? or titanium by Henderson?

Ok, your 401k and bonus are worth about $3352. You're currently paying about $1300 for insurance worth (cheapest insurance available) about $5400. So they're paying about $4100 of your insurance.

So benefits worth about $7452/year plus $41k, we'll just call your compensation worth about $50k.

We won't count workman's comp for the moment since as a sole proprietor you aren't required to have it on yourself and your health insurance will likely cover you.

so that leaves taxes. Self-employment tax is a straight 15% of your net but currently your employer pays about half that, so your share will be an additional 7% or so. So to net $50k after taxes you'll need to make $53,500 per year.

of course you'll have additional overhead for transportation, labs, equipment, photography, printing, office expenses, etc. We could reasonably expect an additional 30% in expenses bringing your gross to about $70k.

So if you can do $70k per year in reports it's worth it for you to start a business. Of course you could take a pay cut considering you'll probably not be working full time, but you could also make $70k working part time as well....

That's about the point where I'd head out on my own given your current wages. If you can find a job that pays that or more it might be the better deal, but keep in mind working for yourself you could easily make much more than that. Or much less. If you're good enough you could hire others and find yourself making millions, if there's enough work available to support that.
>>
>>1733154
>titanium by Henderson
i really want nothing to do with timet. their env people leave every few months are mgmt is slow as shit to approve/forward anything. plus, they deal with nert, tronox, stauffer, etc... every goddamn week. nope.

as for your analysis man, im saving that shit. you really broke that down well, far beyond what i knew about. thanks pal, happy hunting.
>>
>>1733135
nah, clark county
>>
>>1733169
my pleasure. I hope to find myself working with you and/or bidding against you. Best of luck.
>>
>>1733182
thanks pal. one last question, your work with mining and water treatment. how much exp did you have to get into it, what are your hours, and just generally "is it worth it?"
>>
>>1733135
oh shit i misinterpreted your comment. the job was somewhere around imlay or empire i believe. i remember it wa sa town of liek 1200 people, and there was a costco. thats about it
>>
>>1733191
I started off cleaning buildings contaminated with heavy metals. This is essentially janitorial work in tyveks with special equipment. It requires 0 experience to get into, but you do need a 40-hour OSHA HAZWOPPER and your MSHA part 48 New Miner Cert. You also need an MSHA number for your business.

I'm retired. I bought my business years ago and have grossed several million dollars with it. Back when I actually did the work I was working about 10 hours a week to gross about $70k and net as little as possible.

I currently work about 40 hours a year bidding work and running audits. I pay myself in the vicinity of $100k per year, it varies.
>>
>>1733191
>"is it worth it?"
it has been the best career move I've made or will likely ever make. The money that changes hands is unbelievable.
>>
>>1733202
im kinda surprised ive never heard of that type of job. got my hazwoper obviously but no msha (never needed it).

definitely giving me new career options man, wish i could share a free thing of restaurant tortilla chips with you.
>>
>>1733211
>im kinda surprised ive never heard of that type of job.
It's a tiny niche, it pays too little for most environmental contractors to be interested, and has too many technical requirements for most janitorial companies to handle.

there's not a lot of work out there in that particular slot, and people like me have most of it tied up tight. My company does straight janitorial and more traditional environmental work as well though. We remediate lead soils, conduct medical surveillance, clean up crime scenes, deal with hazardous waste spills, remediate some structures, etc. Mostly commercial or government contracting though.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.