[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to increase sales.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: 20160702_095940.jpg (2MB, 4032x3024px) Image search: [Google]
20160702_095940.jpg
2MB, 4032x3024px
Hey /biz/ I need some help

I just inherited my families manufacturing plant in Baltimore.

I have no idea how to increase my sales, my father survived for the past several decades by word of mouth.

What are some tips for getting more customers?

Our bread and butter is street poles btw.
>>
>>1728022

Do you mostly deal with commercial and municipal projects?
>>
>>1728126
Mostly deal in a supplemental role to other street lighting outfits, but definitely looking to diversify
>>
>>1728022
offer free dick sucking with purchase
>>
File: Bearings.gif (2MB, 426x756px) Image search: [Google]
Bearings.gif
2MB, 426x756px
>>1728022
>manufacturing

One of your biggest profit-eaters will be energy consumption. If you can make your processes more efficient and use less power you will make profits:

You should hire a process metallurgist to help streamline your heat treatments, machining and production - leaving a furnace on too long can prove costly.

Consider getting involved in scrap if you aren't already. The majority of structural metalwork is recycled - you can save big money here and make big money if you deal with other people's waste.

Street poles sound like a civil demographic so target wealthy suburban areas for "shiny new streetlamps to keep their children safe at night"
>>
>>1728134

Right on. Is your warehouse stock mostly tube steel, stanchions and base plates?

Do you do things like structural steel as well?
>>
>>1728155

Targetting neighborhoods,As a manufacturer, how do I do that though?

Do I just spam pennysaver ads and hire an electrician to do install?
>>
>>1728173

Our material is mostly sheet metal, the poles are welded shut rather than spun.

Never really messed with regard or I beams but always listening to ideas.
>>
>>1728184

Well, there's a lot of room to expand if you get into different sorts of applications. Rebar can become a nightmare if it's a big, complicated job and your guys make the bends incorrectly, but most municipal projects have a "Buy American" clause written into the spec. so you can make a good profit on the tonnage just from having a bending machine and a reliable truck.

Structural isn't bad because all you have to do is cut it to length and drill it in the right places.

You wouldn't happen to be hiring, would you?

t. Bethesda Project Engineer
>>
>>1728178
>pennysaver ads
No you need to think big and behave professionally

I would suggest directly approaching the state - civil council office, county mayor's office etc. That's where big deals in infrastructure projects and streetlamps are made

Think of other sectors where welded tubes could be useful: Fencing, Signposts, Billboard Advertisers, Freeway signage etc
>>
File: Bethesda.png (245KB, 2000x1043px) Image search: [Google]
Bethesda.png
245KB, 2000x1043px
>>1728197
/v/ pls go
>>
>>1728219

Haha! I work in municipal construction for general contractors.
>>
Are you big enough to be able to afford a salesperson?
Everyone has salespeople. The Marriott hotel across the street from me has 3 full time salespeople. They drum up business, hit the phones, hit the web and bring people in. They don't sit around waiting for the phone to ring.

I once worked for a sign company that built and installed big light-up signs for businesses. Also did repair and removal. They had as many salespeople as service techs.

Sounds like your dad was the salesman. If you can't replace him you will go out of business. Too bad he didn't teach you.
>>
>>1728022

Small business owner here.

> how to increase my sales

Sounds like you are in over your head. The answer to this question depends on your area, your industry and the size of your business.

Here's some basics
Facebook page, website, SEO
Ads (online, mail, radio)
Face to face sales (drop by potential buyers, give them a quick pitch and leave a flyer/card, do this 20x per week)
Referal program (offer money or discounts to current customers who send new customers your way)

I would get into whatever business group there is in your city and ask other business owners what they are doing. This should be a good start. Chambers of commerce, etc...
>>
>>1728274

My dad was not a salesperson, when I say word of mouth for decades, I mean it lol.

That said at this time I couldn't afford to take the risk of hiring out a salesperson, place is at a skeleton crew as it is.

>>1728416

Thanks for the advice, think I'll look up local business groups.
>>
>>1728416
Not OP, but he said their bread and butter is Street light poles. It's not a consumer item. You have to place bids with municipalities and large contracting firms in order to get sales. OP: you need to learn b2b sales
>>
File: startdialing.jpg (600KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
startdialing.jpg
600KB, 1200x800px
>>1728022

Pick up the phone and start dialing.

Who needs your product. Target them, pick up the phone, and start dialing.
>>
>>1729313

and my first year in mortgage finance I did terrible because I didn't do enough of this.

Now everyday im on the phone and slowly but surely the pipeline got filled.
>>
>>1729313
>>1729314
I wouldn't do this yourself OP.

You could outsource telemarketing or pay salesmen a commission though.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.