[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Family resources, lack thereof and its impact on careers.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

I consider myself a very hard working individual, earning a 3.8 GPA with a dual major and working 3/4ths of it with a part time job. All of my money went toward books and classes and food (and some clothes initially). I won scholarships but spent them again on a needed computer equipment and had an unexpected health emergency. Despite said work ethic and accolades my current unfortunate position in life is not that great. I attribute it entirely to not having the network of family financial support that even seemingly poor people have.

I'll be honest. I am resentful of some of my friends. Their success in life is almost entirely predicated on being subsidized by family members. I wouldn't have a problem with it really if they didn't feign poverty.

Case in point, "Friend 1" :

>lazy
>complains about being a poorfag
>muh mother's a teacher and only makes 30k
>graduates with a 2.9 GPA
>econ major only
>gets over $2000 in "graduation presents" from various family members
>grandparents buy him a whole new wardrobe
>moves to the city to get a better chance at jobs
>unemployed and contract work, unable afford rent
>rent subsidized 100% by grandparents.
>keeps at it for 4-5 months
>lands job at decent bank
>still subsidized

Similar cases with some other friends, especially even simple things like family members paying for expensive clothes and graduation presents.

Here I am, at home. I have zero financial backing from any family member aside from my father currently supporting my NEET lifestyle (he's in dire financial shape) which I am most grateful for and disgusted to be like this. These "friends" are perplexed that I don't have a better job than they do. Perhaps they are perplexed because I am too ashamed to admit to them my true financial standing. How I go out of my way to keep up the appearance of not being poor. I however, am not perplexed, I lay my finger the lack of familial resources as being the reason for my current predicament in life.

1/2
>>
2/2

>be me
>have no family resources or connections
>no graduation present from anyone (grandmother offer $50 but I rejected it because I know she is in bad shape)
>clothes are all worn and tattered after 4 years of heavy use
>wear a shrunken Express dress shirt +tie and brown worn-out khaki's to interviews
>either abysmally low offers or rejected despite exceeding requirements and having good personality; it was the clothes!
>no one in entire family can spare money for any clothes
>dad feels bad and tries to take me to Goodwill and discount stores
>nothing fits or is too expensive
>vehicle needs inspected
>can't afford that in short-run he needs to save
>get up early, drive him to work on the last two remaining job interviews before getting extremely discouraged.

I help manage my father's finances so I know he is not obscuring how much he is truly making, not that it is my money regardless.

Now, I'm not saying that I will indefinitely be like this; I plan on swallowing my pride and getting a menial $10/hour job for a few weeks just to buy some prerequisite attire to begin hopefully a bright future career. At the end of the day, I still am in better shape because I have a better degree, better GPA and better work ethic than said friends. If anything, this has been a learning experience.

Everyone else I know that is not a NEET was subsidized heavily be relatives, even extended family. I was not (or not nearly to the extent they were). I'm neither looking for pity nor am I looking for advice. I wanted to point out the elephant in the room, the question of Family Resources and how it can create dysgenics by propping up otherwise lazy, unsuccessful people.
>>
>>1708613
>blaming other people for your laziness and failure

This is why you are poor.
>>
>>1708613
You got an Econ degree without realizing the importance of networking? Come on retard. No one cares about your shitty 3.8. There always someone better then you but there is only one you. Be the guy everyone wants to hire because of your personality, your drive, not because you got a 3.8.
>>
>>1708694
>>blaming other people for your laziness and failure

Where did I do this?

I did not blame anyone.

I did not blame relatives for being poor. I did not fault my family once for not giving me money. In fact, I admitted being grateful for what I did have.

I merely said that having financial backing helps with early success and not having it presents difficulties. A truth than anyone should be able to conceptualize.
>>
>>1708702
>Be the guy everyone wants to hire because of your personality, your drive, not because you got a 3.8.

>personality - Check
>Drive - Check

I don't brag about my GPA or even advertise it anywhere aside from a brief mention on my resume. I only mentioned it here it as a comparison to my other friend (with a lower GPA and lazier work ethic) who did meet success.
>>
>>1708702
lrn2 reading comprehension. His friend is the econ major.
>>
You're gonna get a bunch of screeching babies in here, OP. Just a warning. But I commiserate. I have a fantastic job now, but when I was right out of school, I couldn't afford a green bean sandwich. Check around at Salvation Army or Goodwill or whatevs, around here they will outright give you presentable clothing in good condition so you can go to interviews. They only ask that you return it if/when you can afford your own, or pay it forward some other way.
>>
File: good.jpg (78KB, 640x445px) Image search: [Google]
good.jpg
78KB, 640x445px
>>1710856

Thanks for the reply, it is very encouraging. The thrift-store supplied interview clothing is a very good idea; I'll call a few up and explain my situation to them and ask for specific sizes to see if they can help me.

Regardless, I feel that I will be out of this rut in the next few weeks. I'm optomistic about getting a menial job and selling most of my non-essential belongings to get the basics in order. Once that's done, securing a salaried position should be in the near horizon.
>>
>>1708710
Your personality is shit.
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.