[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I've got roughly $20000 that I can pretty much do whatever

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: images.jpg (13KB, 401x299px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
13KB, 401x299px
So I've got roughly $20000 that I can pretty much do whatever with seeing as I live with my parents. Are index funds the best way to invest $20000 or is there a better option?
>>
>>1705749
I mean, yeah pretty much. Honestly if you are asking us, that means there is room for you to educate yourself more so the best investment is to put that into school
>>
What's your horizon for needing the money?
>>
>>1705749
You'll get a much better return by investing in your education or job training, assuming your aren't a moron or autist. Your earnings potential is the single largest asset you'll have in your lifetime.
>>
Age , country ?
>>
>>1705800
23, China
Looking to invest in US companies
>>
>>1705757
>>1705793
Spending thousands of dollars on a degree is the biggest waste of money out of everything. Unless you're training to be something that's specific and sought after like a doctor then you're wasting your time going to uni. Already $50000 in debt from course fees and don't even work in that industry as my main job.

>>1705800
22 Australia

>>1705802
What are you doing man? Your post has your ID on it idiot
>>
>>1705760
Just a home man. I live in Sydney and houses are a million dollars on average
>>
>>1705813
>Spending thousands of dollars on a degree is the biggest waste of money out of everything.
So are you a moron or an autist?
>>
>>1705832
>asks if one of us is an autist
>on THE forum for vietnamese slaves drawing hentai cartoons
>>
>>1705828
So you might like that money to double in value in, say, 10 years? Ok. But what would you do if that money instead dropped 25% in a single year? Would you freak out and sell, or would you just say "meh, another 5 I guess.." ?

It's about you risk tolerance and time horizon. If you're saving for a house that's a lot different than saving for retirement.

I wouldn't put more than 50% of that in stocks / index funds. Maybe a 50/50 stock/bond fund, or just keep half in a cash equivalent such as money market higher yield checking account.

You always have to ask "what's the worst that could reasonably happen, and could I deal with it?"
>>
>>1705813
Yea try applying to decent jobs without a bachelors. If you don't have experience and even then you get filtered out by HR. Yea it's expensive but as more and more people get their degree it's going to be expected you have yours too.
>>
>>1705832
>>1705886
That's what I'm saying though. I went off to uni and got my degree and got out and couldn't even find work in that industry. Just because you go out and get a degree doesn't mean you're guarenteed work in that field. The people who have the most money are the ones who use money to work for them instead of being a wage slave their whole life.
>>
>>1705867
Isn't an index fund fairly low risk because the shares are spread over a number of different things? Thanks for your advice, this is genuinely helpful.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.