[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hedge fund

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 8
Thread images: 1

File: IMG_0184.jpg (17KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0184.jpg
17KB, 259x194px
If I'm working at a hedge fund around the age of 23, would my chance of making at least 1 million dollars before reaching 30 years of age increase? Average salary of working at hedge funds is well above $150,000 a year and I'm investing my own money in the company so I'd learn all the strings there is to learn about in investing in the stock market. I'm 20 years old right now and halfway done with college So im trying to finish my bachelors as fast as possible and get lucky with a job at an hedge fund so I can begin my path to being rich.
>>
>>1702622
Holy fuck where do I even start. Ok, first of all, what are you studying? Second, how interested are you in finance and where do your strengths lie? Third, what position are you gunning for? The company you work for also has a huge impact on the amount you earn and I doubt the standard error is low enough to justify looking at the industry as a whole rather than on a company by company basis.
>>
>>1702638
Computer science and math. I want to be an analyst and I've heard over and over again that you don't have to major in finance so yeah. My university is Texas A&M which is an almost top tier school they have an almost perfect reputation so I don't think not being at an Ivy League school would hurt me right?
>>
>>1702661
You should be entirely fine, computer science and math is perfect for quantitative hedge funds and the $150k mark is certainly achievable. Definitely do a few things which get some personality and experience on your resume. Check out SIG, 2Sig, Rentech internships as well as a couple smaller quant firms, Systematic CTAs always look good. The last thing you want is for them to think is that you have no personality or experience. To answer your question, yes your chances are relatively high if things go perfectly - which they rarely do. Protip: instead of going directly to a large firm try to get a gig with a rapidly emerging hedge fund, preferable a quantitative one. You'll get promoted quickly if you get in initially and there's definitely more room for growth. You can spend years holed up at a large firm before getting moved anywhere. This is getting to be all over the place but don't get lucky with a job at a hedge fund, if you're hoping to get lucky then you probably won't, get that experience on your resume before applying for your job after grad etc. Also there's the possibility of going the long route ie get your phd in applied mathematics from a top tier school after your masters at an equally top tier (ivy) school. Going from Texas AandM to an ivy league isn't too hard. PhDs get hired and paid obscene amounts of money by companies such as SIG. Also, and I guess finally, a general look at the industry will tell you that many of these funds won't be around for much longer, I suggest staying away from fundamental companies and going for the algorithmically managed ones.
>>
>>1702622
>and get lucky
yeah, good luck with that...

just remember mcdonals is always hiring.
>>
>>1702717
Yeah nice try nigga but I doubt I'd need any help from mcdonalds.
>>
>>1702638
Not him but I'm studying electronic & computer engineering at a top school in my country. (Western Europe) I currently have a 3.7 GPA equivalent and I'm top 5 in my class.

I knew I wanted to work in finance when I was 15. I wanted to have a "back up plan" so to speak. I knew engineering would give me an excellent technical skillset that could be applied to quant finance.

I also have good extra-curriculars (captain of school basketball team)

I had a very brief internship with a top financial services firm in London over the summer.

I'm gunning for a job as a trader.

I'm only 20 and I have two years left in my bachelors. What do I need to do to maximise my chances of making a million by 30?
>>
>>1702790
Becoming a trader nowadays is really tough, I suggest joining a trading desk (you might have to look in asia (check out singapore)) as an analyst/quant/technician and working your way up from there. You most certainly won't get hired unless you have a solid track record ... do you? To maximize your chances by going the trader route get hired by a firm as one, work there for a few years and meet some great lads (you know you're doing it right if you're stumbling into your flat shitfaced at 3am to get 2 hours of sleep). One day call them into your local favorite bar and propose setting up a quant shop. Pool your resources together to create a prop fund, then set up a separate entity to manage capital for outsiders (start with friends, family then work your way into HNWIs, then small family offices etc) good luck.
Thread posts: 8
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.