[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it true that all the top investment bankers have degrees

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: Nice guy.png (6KB, 344x96px) Image search: [Google]
Nice guy.png
6KB, 344x96px
Is it true that all the top investment bankers have degrees in physics and math?
>>
I live in NYC and while I'm a student I know many bankers. Most I know are finance or econ majors. But the major is really pointless. You can have a 4.0 GPA at a top school but that don't mean shit. Your resume will go directly in the trash unless you know somebody. This is why most people work at the same place they had an internship at. Banking plays the buddy system. If you don't know someone that will hold the door open for you, you'll stay locked outside. This is why internships are so important. Where you intern at is likely where you'll be working at after you graduate for at least 4 to 6 years.

But times are changing and all the bankers I know are old. I believe firms look at just about any student these days in regards of internships. Theyd rather take a history major that is good with people and teach him finance than hire some autistic finance major that can't even say hello and shake a hand without looking awkward. Programming is becoming more of a requirement than a perk these days. They aren't using excel templates anymore to evaluate companies or determine whether the dividend they pay is really the most they can afford or if they are being cheap Jews.

But
>>
I know that a very sizeable chunk (25% of 250 in the year) of the people that study maths with me at my uni (top five in my country) go into finance whether its PE or IB or whatever.
>>
>>1690102
>Programming more a requirement than a perk

Does the language matter or can I just get an online UMich Python certification?
>>
A physics student from my department was great at simulations and got offered a PhD scholarship at a top university... And refused because he also got an offer to work at a bank where he's killing it now.
>>
>>1690485
Language doesn't matter because it is extremely easy to learn a new one of you are a good programmer
>>
>>1690699
Would you recommend learning one's first language in a college course or is there some certif you can vouch for?
>>
>>1690077
i can't read the full message couse of this cancer santa hat, how the fuck do I remove this cancer on my screen?
>>
Over half of my Finance professors hold math doctorates, after their MBAs
I start my MBA next month, so half meaning about 10/20 over the last two years, including summer courses.

DC area Uni, by the way.
>>
>>1690962
http://s.4cdn.org/image/xmashat.gif
is the santa hat, just block it and there you go
>>
>>1690959
You need to know how to market yourself, dude.
Just say you know programming, if you know python. Say you weren't interested in expanding to other languages and you have instead mastered python or something along those lines if they ask about other languages.
>>
>>1691130
yeah but most MBA holders aren't professors
>>
>>1690102

Is this why there's so many ((())) in finance?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.