[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Currency exchange for profit, is it a viable idea?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: money-afp.jpg (76KB, 460x281px) Image search: [Google]
money-afp.jpg
76KB, 460x281px
Forgive me if this is an ultimate autistic post, I'm just now trying to be learned in financial theory. (which is fucking addicting to say the least)
But I'm watching the MIT financial theory course taught by Dr. Lo. Just now going through the part where he is talking about how an asset is a sequence of cash flows at current time and in the future denominated by
> Value of Asset"t" = V"t"(CF"t", CF"t+1" , CF "t+2", ...)

Could one have say $100 today. And say in 5 weeks, the value of ¥ drops significantly to .0075 yen per dollar. I think the yen has hit its bottom and will reverse so I exchange my 100$ completely into ¥ for a total value of 13,333.33 ¥. Now say over the next 3 months, ¥ moves back up to .0090 yen per dollar so I decide I want to switch back to $ and make a profit.13,333.33 x .009 = 119.99$.

I know these measly profits, obviously its just a sample case. I just want to know if this a thing people do. If it is a viable idea in making profits if used with a larger investment. Am I missing something? Are there serious taxes/tariffs on currency exchange. Am I completely autistic? If not, how about the idea of creating a robinhood-esque version website/app where commission can be charged. or at least a flat fee for each trade. or even a monthly fee.

Please feel free to bash to your heart's content, or maybe steer me in the right direction. Or learn me something.
>>
It's definitely a thing people do.

There's some risk to it, but it's been detailed in just about every international business book out there.

Options Trading
>>
>>1688898
What if you're wrong and it drops further to .0065?Currency movements are even more random than stock prices.

In real life, currency trades on margin (using borrowed money). Gains and losses are magnified using borrowed money. If the value of your account falls below a predetermined amount, you get a margin call meaning you either need to deposit more money to raise the value of your account or your broker automatically closes your positions at a loss
>>
>>1688920
is trading currencies referred to as options trading? or is it just a type of option trade.

are there any big names that trade in this manner?
>>1688924
really? would you say they are more volatile than leveraged ETFs?
could you not just average down to .0065, assuming that you believed it were to go up of course.
is any sort of analysis worth using to evaluate what the curency will do?
Explain to me what you mean by borrowed money. Is it the same idea of shorting? Like I go to a broker and say I want 100$ in yen, but not actually give him any initial cash? better yet, can you give me an idea of what you mean by margin in this instance?
how are they magnified using borrowed money?
>>
>>1688924
I understand risk, so I know I can be wrong. There's not really much I can to avoid that (besides not trading at all), only realize and reduce it.
>>
>>1688933
just fucking open a forex account and trade
>>
>>1688938
the most I know about forex is the name. so idk about that yet. in the future yes.
>>
>>1688945
>the most i now about forex is the name

then fucking google it you autistic fuck.
and trading with borrowed money is called leverage. Most brokers offer a pretty good amount of leverage, anywhere from 10:1 to 200:1
which means that you could be potentially trading $200 worth of currency for every dollar you deposit. This makes for great potential returns with a small initial deposit (magnified if you will) but there's also a much smaller margin for error as your losses are also maginified.
>>
>>1689051
ahhh anon, you explained that so well, i understand.
thats fucking awesome, though 200:1 going backwards sounds fucking dangerous. so if I deposit 1 dollar, and I call it right, i have the potential for 200? or if im wrong -199? sounds more like roulette.
is there a way to realistically analyze currency movements? or do they moved sporadically to every time a nation's leader farts? excuse my typing, i just woke up from a cat nap
>>
>>1689192
exactly, now you understand, and yes there is, if this is something you're interested in and serious about there's a website i would recommend for you, google babypips.
It's a very tedious and time consuming skill set to develop, but once you've got the hang of it, you have the potential to make money. That website will teach you pretty much everything you need to know about technical analysis. Also look into tradingview, It has real time charts and reputable traders that post their analysis for anyone to see, all for free my man.
>>
>>1688898
>what if I do this thing thousands of people do every day on websites that already exist
Ok
>>
>>1688898
People already do that, it's called Currency Speculating.
George Soros, the most high-profile of the currency market speculators, made over £1 billion in profit by short selling sterling in 1992.

In the event of an interim price decline, the short seller will profit, since the cost of (re)purchase will be less than the proceeds which were received upon the initial (short) sale. Conversely, the short position will be closed out at a loss in the event that the price of a shorted instrument should rise prior to repurchase.
>>
>>1689681
Ahhhh, so say in a theoretical world, Donald trump does somehow make Mexico pay for and build a wall. And I was ballsy enough to short the Peso prior to start of construction, could this have rippled to the value of the peso and I give me returns?
>>
File: 1477292875194.jpg (89KB, 500x517px) Image search: [Google]
1477292875194.jpg
89KB, 500x517px
>>1688898
>tfw australia might be losing its $100 note
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.