[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Turning my life around

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

I fucked up, senpai.
>Working part time as a dishwasher
>Finishing up school, majoring in English
>Was going to be an ESL teacher at first, but then decided that I wasn't into teaching after all
>Sort of thinking about getting into the publishing business
>But also considering going back to school for another degree while working full time
>Not financially independent yet/still live with parents

Is it too late for me to turn my life around and have a successful career?
>>
>majors in English
>wants to start a business
Lmao funniest shit I've read all day
>>
>>1687310
No no, I meant joining a publishing company.
>>
>>1687312
I know someone who spent all 4 undergrad years fully intending to go into medicine. He got good grades, ECs, recommendations, got a double major in Bio/Physics, and went to a great med school for 2 months before realizing he hates medicine.

He went into business school and now makes over 200k/year in investment banking.

It's not too late, just pick something and stick with it.
>>
>>1687365
This.
>>
>>1687312
I hope you worked/volunteered for a lot of different student publications/newspapers during your time in undergrad. The publishing industry is not easy to get into. I would suggest looking for copyediting or proofreading positions in other industries to get some experience under your belt. I had a lot of volunteer copyediting experience on my resume that I leveraged to get freelance copywriting gigs with online stores. Work your way up and build a portfolio. Eventually got a technical editing position for a production agency that became a technical writing position and now I'm an account manager at 29.

It took me a few years to get my experience and I worked a lot of shitty unskilled jobs after I graduated before I got my bearings. If your English department had a business internship program, definitely take advantage of that.

t. English major /biz/nessman
>>
>>1687365
I might consider business school! Thank you.

>>1687752
Sadly, not a whole lot. For most of my undergrad I was under the illusion that just having a degree would get me a job. I will be looking into internships and other opportunities before I finish though. Also, would becoming an editorial assistant be a bad place to start? I was browsing through publishing jobs and it seemed like something I could do.
>>
>>1687290
STEP 1.) GET AN INTERNSHIP

STEP 2.) GET AN INTERNSHIP

STEP 3.) GET AN INTERNSHIP
>>
>>1687949
It doesn't matter what major you have, get an internship in an industry you want to work.

Go to the fucking career center at your college that exists for this purpose alone
>hi, I'm english anon,
Hi english anon
>I want to work for a publisher in the future
Okay we'll look into it, what other industries should we look into for you?

Ad nauseum
>>
>>1687932
>I was under the illusion that just having a degree would get me a job.
Yes, well that is a massive mistake. Definitely look into opportunities, anything from copyediting the student paper to help putting together student creative writing journals. Anything you can find related to writing and publishing.

As for editorial assistant, well you may be able to DO it, that doesn't mean you have a chance of getting the job. Those are highly competitive jobs to get. Did you go to a prestigious university? Editorial assistant positions involve a lot of people skills and project management experience. You can't just walk in with an English degree and say that you can do the job. There's a lot more to it than that.

Seriously, get as much experience as you can right now or you will get stuck working in some shitty customer service job the rest of your life. For a start, you can look up to see if there are any gigs in writing/editing on craigslist. That's how I have gotten several freelance gigs that I was able to pad my resume with and helped me build a portfolio.
>>
>>1687952
University career centers don't find internships you.
>>
>>1687981
They can point you in the right direction. At my university, it was through the department and was a two course sequence. First course you learned business writing and learned how to apply to internships, then the next semester you actually did the internship for course credit.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.