[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Getting a Book Published

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: 1389720396641.jpg (62KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
1389720396641.jpg
62KB, 720x540px
Who here has published a nonfiction book? I have an idea for a memoir-style immigrant story, but I can't be fucked to write it without knowing it could pay off down the line.

To my understanding, agents and publishers are fine with a proposal in place of an actual piece of work. Proposals, to my understanding, need to prove that there's a market for your work, which mine would.

Is publishing a book realistic though? Or do I need to be some 100,000+ follower SJW or Alt-Right social media fag to get recognition?

Please no /lit/ here.
>>
>>1686934
Do you mean for the purpose of getting a book published or to make money?

If only to get a book published there are sites like blurb.com that do low vol printing of custom work.

If its to make money you would need to prove that youre an accomplished writer and have a portfolio of work - book publishing is a suffocating industry that makes no money - talking cents per sale if you break 'x' thousands of units sold
>>
People usually don't write non fiction in hopes of it paying off like you think. They do it to promote themselves, an idea, or a business.

But anyways, there are many publishing companies you can go to. The just of it is you give them 25k and express your thoughts into speech, then they take that and put it into words and handle the rest
>>
I got a fiction book published. Sold 113 copies on Amazon. Amazon took most of the profits because they hate book publishers.
>>
>>1686953

This is not to make money -- however, I definitely want it to sell A LOT of copies. If it sold a million copies and I didn't see a cent, I wouldn't care. I have other skills that make me much more money than book writing.

But would publishers/agents like that attitude of not wanting cash? They might see it as me not taking the venture of writing a full book seriously.

As for things like Blurb or self-publishing, I'm more so looking to see recognition on my work. My goal is eyeballs, not cash.
>>
>>1686957

As I mentioned to >>1686953, I wouldn't be doing this for the money. It is entirely to promote myself. Having a published and accessible book under me would give me a platform.

And did I read that right? I would give them $25,000? That's insane. I plan on writing the thing myself (I'm a fantastic writer -- I practically wrote my way into top colleges despite my awful high school grades), so could I avoid that fee by taking the responsibility of writing it?

Also, are there any SJW publishing groups who would love a middle eastern immigration story? That's half of what the idea has to offer.
>>
>>1686958

Pls tell me more. Which publisher, your background (did you have a large following before writing?), your idea, etc.

Many thanks.
>>
>>1686966
>I would give them $25,000? That's insane. I plan on writing the thing myself (I'm a fantastic writer -- I practically wrote my way into top colleges despite my awful high school grades), so could I avoid that fee by taking the responsibility of writing it?
I assume he's talking about boutique press publishers, books are expensive to make, man. Not only that but even if you write it yourself you still need someone to do layouts, typeset it or whatever it's called (don't think they just print it out like your office printer, in order to make it more cost effective they use specialty printers).

You provide them with a manuscript, but it's still gonna cost you 25k to get that book physically in the hands of people.

>>1686963
>But would publishers/agents like that attitude of not wanting cash? They might see it as me not taking the venture of writing a full book seriously.
No. Because they are sinking way more money into the book than the advance (editors, printing, inventory, warehousing, marketing etc. etc.), which they intend to recoup anyway, because the whole point of publishing a book, it would seem to me, is that it makes a profit. So no, you not wanting cash is not a sweetener.

What they want is a timely, topical story with an inbuilt and easy to market to audience. If you already have your own following, say you've been in the news or have a social media following or something, then that's better still. That's why they paid that talentless hack Lena Dunham one million for her autobiography: because it would sell automatically.
>>
>>1686963
Then just make your book freely available on the internet.
>>
>>1687147
send a copy of your faggy immigrant book to cnn they love shit like this.
>>
>>1686934
>idea
>for a book
>haven't wrote a single word
Do you also introduce yourself as author when people ask about your profession?
>>
If you don't care about the money you should make an ebook and make the download available for free. Then maybe spend some money with fake reviews/marketing. Maybe If the book is good it could work, dunno.
There is this fucking guy who keeps spamming his shitty book on Facebook groups and it seems to be selling. People got pissed off and read his book just to say how bad it is, but actually he got some followers with this.
>>
File: liberal_millenial.png (599KB, 1000x724px) Image search: [Google]
liberal_millenial.png
599KB, 1000x724px
>>1686934
>immigrants story

Alt right is nowhere near as common as your typical dumb leftist millennial, but they are just as bad, if not worse
>>
I'm a literary editor, believe me or don't, I don't care.

First of all your book idea isn't worth jack shit. A finished manuscript is worth something. An idea for something is worth nothing.

Second thing you should know is being an author is not lucrative. Hardly anyone makes a living off this shit anymore, and those are people like Stephen King and James Patterson. So if you want to get rich and famous just get that out of your head now.

You need to figure out who is going to publish this. Not every publisher is the same. Once you know who you're going to send your book to, then you'll know whether or not they'll accept your "story idea proposal" which sounds utterly ridiculous. Only a heavy-weight author would pitch a book idea to a publisher, not a never-published-before author.

>Or do I need to be some 100,000+ follower SJW or Alt-Right social media fag to get recognition?
If you have that then you'll get published easily, but at that point you could just self-publish and cut out the middle man.
>>
>>1687362
Not OP but could you chime in on my thread?
>>>8882797
>>
>>1687407
>>1687362
I have no idea how to link between boards sorry. Heres what it said
>Are any of you actually published authors? I love to write and would love to see my stuff in print but I don't think im especially good and i dont want to quit my job to pursue it. Other than shitty ebooks do i have a shot?
>>
>>1687411
if you don't think your stuff is especially good why would anyone want to waste their time reading it?
>>
>>1687420
People waste their time reading all sorts of shit. Im just saying i dont expect to become rich or a critical darling
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.