[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why read about finance?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: 1481609984919.jpg (879KB, 1345x1550px) Image search: [Google]
1481609984919.jpg
879KB, 1345x1550px
I see pic related linked a lot, and I work in healthcare IT. It seems like the "common sense" advice is to just save as much as I can, and invest in diversified stock index funds (moving from high growth to low risk as I get older).

So what's the point of reading on the subject? Will it offer me any benefit whatsoever?
>>
File: 1.jpg (270KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
270KB, 960x1280px
>>
Ignorance is bliss I guess.
>>
>>1667244
>So what's the point of reading on the subject? Will it offer me any benefit whatsoever?
Well geez anon, what's the point in learning about auto repair, or carpentry, or the art of letter writing? The real question is what is your interest/commitment to the subject, if you investigate it thoroughly enough you will get some benefit. Also finance is a multi-pronged, complex discipline with many subsets some of which are more useful to the average punter than others, and also depend on your industry, personal wealth, income, and even geography.

But I'll stress it again: how interested are you?
That's the only question you should ask yourself, if you're not interested focus on healthcare IT, get really super-good at that, learn about climbing the greasy pole and how to negotiate for promotions and personal branding so you can increase your salary.
>>
>>1667244
>The Idiot

Why's that listed there?
>>
>>1667310
Haven't read it, but I think because it's like to be viewed as a philosophical treatise on working in that kind of environment. It gives you a theory to underpin some of the more pragmatic works on there while also letting you reflect on the lifestyle?

It's not a great list though, it tries too hard to please all, so you end up with a lot of books written for normies to popularize soft ideas dispersed between the highly informative textbooks.
>>
>>1667312
Insightful post, friend.

>>>/lit/
>>
File: 3.jpg (102KB, 680x510px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
102KB, 680x510px
>>1667296
>Well geez anon, what's the point in learning about auto repair, or carpentry, or the art of letter writing?

Because those things could prove helpful in everyday life. I suppose it's worth mentioning my degree is in Econ, so it seems as though I've hit the common-sense point of diminishing returns in the subject. Was asking more if it's worth my time to invest in further, or to focus on other things.

> and also depend on your industry, personal wealth, income, and even geography.

Also part of my question, since I'm from a lower-class family (no wealth/inheritance built up), but will be making middle-class (~$90k salary) income. Not like I'll be managing millions or anything crazy though.
>>
>>1667322
I listen to audiobooks I downloaded from YouTube while I'm in my car. It doesn't cost me any time. Sometimes I also listen to audiobooks instead of watching tv. Audiobooks are usually only around 8 hours long, so you can finish them in two evenings of doing nothing. How can it be a waste of time?
>>
File: 4.jpg (645KB, 710x1170px) Image search: [Google]
4.jpg
645KB, 710x1170px
>>1667244
here's my essential 6
>>
>>1667322
>I suppose it's worth mentioning my degree is in Econ,
okay that changes things a lot.

>Not like I'll be managing millions or anything crazy though.
I think that answers your own question.

For what it's worth; personally I'm looking into Value Investing because it's inherently lower risk (which you trade off for less gains) and if you pick your portfolio right you can be largely passive for a long time, maybe I'll evaluate it as little as once every 2 months. I'd also make sure to invest in equities and commodities that I'm passively in the loop about: for you maybe that's healthcare companies, suppliers of products you work with etc.

Like I said, does it interest you as a topic? Do you think there is a skillset you can learn related to your current career path which you think will get you higher up the corporate ladder, and earning more money - if the latter, focus on that. If Finance interests you think about your financial objectives.

Who knows, you may find realestate more more your thing, or some other form of non-financial-instrument investment.
>>
I don't see it useful in any way. No book called "make yourself awful rich overnight" will worth a thing, and the ones wich explains economics, trade and so are basically voodoo tier because market magics.
this economic system is a meme.
>>
Why is Dosto on this chart? What does The Idiot teach you about finance?
>>
>>1667244

Link does not work
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.