[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Self-Publishing and Steam : Beginner questions

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 3

File: Steam 640x480.jpg (44KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
Steam 640x480.jpg
44KB, 640x480px
Hey /biz/,

I'm planning on self-publishing a product on Steam. I've been working on the project itself for months, things are going well on that front, but now I'm wondering about a few of the more technical aspects of this thing.

>What's the best way to create a .com website?
So many "guide" websites are just shilling for their own web hosting services, and I don't want to get ripped off when creating a simple website for marketing and selling the product directly (and bypassing the Steam cut).

>For a simple website, is Wordpress any good?
I'm mainly concerned about pimping out the presentation. If there's a clearly superior alternative, I'd love to know what it is.

>Do I need to "create a company", and declare it to my country's administration?
Or can I just link my Paypal account to Steam and keep the revenue undeclared?
I personally don't need to keep the revenue under the table, but I don't want to go through paperwork unless there's a clear benefit to it.

>Is going through Steam Greenlight mandatory/preferrable?
Do people even pay attention to Greenlight anymore? So much shit to stir through, I personally haven't gone in there to browse/thumbs up products in months.

>Is Good Old Games any good?
I personally only used GoG to buy a few select "pre-patched" old school games while they were dirt cheap, but there's usually no way I'd go there for anything else, especially modern.

--------------

Feel free to ask me for details on the project if necessary, I'll be trying to find answers to these questions myself in the meantime. Cheers.
>>
>>1666808
>What's the best way to create a .com website?
The absolute simplest one? Wordpress template on Godaddy - domain for $10, and hosting for $100.

If you actually want a decent site done, sky is the limit. Hosting on heroku (host + db) will run you $17/m

>Do I need to "create a company", and declare it to my country's administration?
> keep the revenue undeclared?
Depends on the country. You can just use your own name. Most likely Paypal will send a tax form to you, or youll have to request one.

>Is going through Steam Greenlight mandatory/preferrable?
Yes, although its not what it used to be. 30% up lets you in I've heard

>Is Good Old Games any good?
No idea. Try humble bundle instead for alternative distribution

Did you make the game in Unity/Unreal?
>>
File: 1472754540210.png (315KB, 605x555px) Image search: [Google]
1472754540210.png
315KB, 605x555px
>>1666813

Thanks for the fast response, man.

>Did you make the game in Unity/Unreal?

Nope, this is a Ren'Py project.
>>
>>1666813
>>1666817

While I'm at it, what do you think about the idea of Self-Publishing via my website at first, and THEN apply to Steam Greenlight? Giving out Steam keys to previous owners once I'm allowed in.

Might be a good way to "guarantee" a Greenlight pass, although if you're correct, it's not necessary in the least.
>>
>>1666827
I think its more of a user acquisition question, but yes, if you setup a site you can post media related to the game on there, and direct normies from /r/gaming, /r/gamedev and our own /vg over.

Thinking about it - your page will act as a sqeeze page, most people who will go there and like it will continue on too steam to vote yes, but those who think it sucks, will most likely just abandon site instead of giving you a negative on steam.

You can also setup a facebook page and shill you domain there. Facebook clicks might be pretty cheap too ($0.05-0.10 for Italy, $0.3-$0.7 for US last Ive seen)
>>
File: 1469775868376.jpg (282KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
1469775868376.jpg
282KB, 800x800px
>>1666838

>user acquisition

I'm definitely planning on word of mouth, considering the nature of what I'm publishing, marketing cannot be "standard".

All of the best content are spoilers! There's no way I can show off or brag about the best parts or twists of my product to sell it.

>facebook

I honestly don't believe it would be of great use before the game's launch. I'm not a recognized name (yet), so the standard "tease the audience with new artwork/soundtrack every week for months before release" will not be worth the effort.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.