[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cottage Industry

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 1

File: out of coffee.png (163KB, 528x250px) Image search: [Google]
out of coffee.png
163KB, 528x250px
Is there any way to make decent money off of any sort of cottage industry in The Current Year?

I can work with my hands, but lack the sort of tooling and hookups for materiel to make proper assembly line tier stuff. Is there a market for one-offs and other "custom" stuff that is actually literally unique in that there is only one of them because it was made by hand without molds or jigs?
>>
There is a market and it's supplied by machine shops and it's more or less saturated.

My only real idea would be to make high end furniture or items like lamp bases and wine racks and shit that rich white women will buy and sell them to merchants dealing in such things or on a web page/ ebay.

The market for furnishings never saturates because wealthy people need status symbols.
>>
>>1664555
>high end furniture or items like lamp bases and wine racks and shit that rich white women will buy
Sounds good to me. I can do items smaller than whole articles of furniture (I don't have that much or that good tooling)

But what kind of shit do people actually buy? I don't hang out at IKEA and decorate my house with random shit because POVERTY A E S T H E T I C instead so I'm out of the loop in what trendy people put on their coffee tables (if coffee tables are even still a thing)

Do those trendy hipster stores that are kinda like thrift shops except actually really expensive buy things from random people to resell?
>>
yooooo lmao
>>
>>1664825
They buy used stuff and "upcycle" it.
Sometimes they sell new furniture like chairs and tables that have been given a weathered look.
Or they build shit from repurposed wood.

A sort of cottage industry already exists and it serves Interior designers, architects and construction companies, and project management companies.

For example; an Interior Designer needs a new table, chairs, windows, and doors. They sub-contract these projects to seperate people.

The Architect needs to update a house with new stairs, a deck, wood flooring, a kitchen, an outdoor grill area, a pool, and a bathroom.
He will either give these projects to a construction company who then sub-contracts projects individually.

Sometimes the client deals with a project manager who provides the architect and designers too.
>>
>>1666154
>Or they build shit from repurposed wood.
This is basically what I was planning to do, but including other materials.
Would it be worth it to go to such a shop and say "Hey wanna buy this box full of strange mousepads, recycled paper notebooks, and tea light holders?"

>For example; an Interior Designer needs a new table, chairs, windows, and doors.
I was thinking to go back to school for "Industrial Design" so maybe that sort of business is in my future. But not right now. I'm more looking for a side job more akin to a monetized hobby than a would-be big time firm.
>>
>>1666322
If you have honest talent in this kind of work, and you manage to make pieces that make people go "whoa" and which will last a long time, thats the only way you'll do well.

Prepare to spend a lot of time working, even if the cost in materials is low your cost in time is going to be astounding.
>>
>>1664825
I don't know fashion trends either, but rich people know quality stuff when they see it. Expensive materials and not mass produced.

If you render a wine rack made of solid brass/bronze or some other expensive metal... titanium or tungesten or someshit so long as its not held together with tack welds they'll pay you a sum about whatever your shitty car is worth. Whatever the Wal-Mart counterpart is do the opposite.
>>
>>1667168
>but rich people know quality stuff when they see it.
lmao what no they don't, the average person can't tell the difference between platinum and aluminum. Brass and bronze aren't expensive either, it's the time that goes into works and their sheer age that makes them expensive (brass and bronze are among the earliest workable alloys)

if brass were expensive, we wouldnt make ammunition casings out of it in favor of steel or plastic or something (inb4 someone obnoxiously posts a box of steel-cased or polymer ammo, it exists but it's far from standard)

also wouldnt my target demographic be middle-class hipsters and trendwhores rather than the rich? I'd assume the rich would go for either haute couture branded stuff, or genuine antiques. or just straight up commissioned items
Thread posts: 9
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.