[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much stock do i need to own to influence / be on the board?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: 220px-B_Escorial_94v.jpg (25KB, 220x197px) Image search: [Google]
220px-B_Escorial_94v.jpg
25KB, 220x197px
How much stock do i need to own to influence / be on the board? I own only 10000 stock in gxy but was just wondering
>>
depends on how much they emitted and who else are the owners. if 100% is exchange traded and widespread then holding just a few % can give you controlling influence, since most tiny shareholders never even bother to show up for an annual general meeting. you definitely start to gain tracking above 5% (and beware, between 5 or 10% is usually when you have to publicly declare your ownership by law or by exchange rules).

that is to say, if there is a consortium owning 51% and they are opposed to your plans then even owning 20% can leave you standing in the rain.

also, you can't exactly put yourself on the board easily, but it depends where the company is incorporated and how it is structured.
>>
>>1664083
So how do you go to annual meetings and stuff like that?
>>
>>1664094
first make sure you even own shares with voting rights. it's somewhat frequent that companies have different classes of stock listed (like Google has A-shares with 1 vote per share, unlisted B-shares with 10 votes per share so the founders always keep control and C-shares with no voting right but slightly more profit).

then ask your broker. very often your shares are held collectively with all the other customers of your broker ("street name account") and they have to first separate yours out to register you as a participant (so you can't go around, sell them and duplicate votes). brokers typically ask for a handling fee for registering you, which i've seen go as high as several hundred bucks. plus you have to get to wherever they hold the meeting on your own expense, naturally.
>>
Any shareholder can vote for decisions the corporations make. Corporations make decisions by the vote of a shareholder. If a single person owns 51% or more, then it's virtually impossible to have any influence that collides with his or her interests. However, to prevent misuse of this power, there are many circumstances where the law requires that a resolution be passed with at least 66% votes in favor. So actually decision making of should we put dildos at every bathroom stall requires a 66% vote of yes, not 51%.

You would ideally want at least 1% ownership of shares to have any significant influence. Most people who only own a few shares of stocks in their investment portfolio don't even care about voting or meetings or anything. They aren't investing at all in my opinion. They are just buying shares hoping it goes up before they sell. Whether you hold it for 20 seconds or 20 years, it's all trading in my opinion unless you're actually involved in the corporate politics and decision making.

>>1664083
This is misinformation. First off, there is no such thing as an owner in a corporation. Even if you own 99% of the shares, you aren't legally the owner of the company.
>>
>>1664163
And I forgot to mention this. Your shares must holding voting rights.
>>
>>1664178
how is my post "misinformation"? you said exactly the same stuff.

>depends on how much they emitted and who else are the owners.
i'm talking about the other owners of the shares they emitted. also - collectively all the shareholders *are* the owners of the corporation, that's the definition.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.