[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Better major construction management or business?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: 1200.jpg (27KB, 618x412px) Image search: [Google]
1200.jpg
27KB, 618x412px
Better major construction management or business?
>>
>>1662357
are you bob the builder or are you stan the banker?

most of the people that manage medium sized construction companies don't have degrees, just like most people that manage small businesses don't have MBA's.

before you dismiss small businesses, keep in mind that a construction company can make $31,999,999 per year or employ 99 people and still be a small business.

same with other businesses- you can easily manage stores that make millions a year without a degree.

either way you should be getting your degree with the idea of starting your own business in mind. If I were you I'd go into construction, but that's only because I already know how easy it is to start a contracting firm and make bank. If starting businesses isn't your thing I'd consider civil-E.
>>
>>1662364
A construction manager doesn't manage the company they manage the construction phase of a project. Dealing with subs, attending meetings etc.

That being said in the construction industry a degree doesn't mean much. You need experience. A degree may help you get your foot in the door but what it teaches you isn't entirely applicable to the real world. If you get a reputation as a bad manager you won't last long even if your GPA was 4.0
>>
>>1662367
>A construction manager doesn't manage the company they manage the construction phase of a project.
so a foreman rather than a manager? a ramrod?
lol
that's a really not-useful degree. that's all experience.
>>
>>1662373
A foreman manages specific crews of laborers.. Why are you trying to give advice when you clearly have no idea what basic job functions on a job site are
>>
>>1662364
I was thinking of going civil engineering because I know you can still become a project manager but I'm concerned it might be too hard.

One of friends just graduated with a civ eng degree and whenever he talks to me about it I get bored to death.
>>
>>1662375
>Why are you trying to give advice when you clearly have no idea what basic job functions on a job site are
because in all the companies I've worked with that's called a foreman and I've never met one with a degree.
>>
>>1662377
I am a civil engineer. I enjoy it. I originally wanted to do structural but after doing an internship and seeing that my days would be spent sitting in a cubicle crunching numbers I switched to geotechnical. I now get to go to the field a ton, work outside, work in remote locations, work underground, work at dams, and do some office work modelling, report writing etc. Another plus to geotech is the abundance of field work I do I am constantly on construction sites so a switch to project management won't be difficult
>>
>>1662379
A construction manager organizes all the subcontractors, reports on their progress, pushes them if they're going too slow etc

Think of it like this

Labor crew reports to foreman, foreman reports to superintendent, superintendent to construction manager, construction manager to project manager
>>
>>1662381
ok, thanks for knowledge.

if you're in the US we've met or know some of the same people.
>>
>>1662380
Cool, whats your job title? Project engineer or something else?
>>
>>1662384
Field engineer
>>
Construction industry is miserable
>>
>>1662400
the standards and operations are weird, but you'll never see looser cash. What do you see wrong with it?
>>
>>1662400
Whats your job?
>>
>>1662357
>construction management
if you're an autist chandweller you're perfect for the job. Most construction managers I know are r9k rehabilitated manlets that did some /sci.

t. project manager for real estate development
>>
>>1662433
>Implying I am autist /r9k/ fag

No one on /r9k/ would ever think of being a business major. Too much social interaction.
>>
>>1662436
I said rehabilitated, they can interact with others but the autist cringe is still very well felt in their conversation.
>>
Some of thes answers in this thread are pathetic

Nobody becomes a construction manager without a degree these days, and it's a very good job if you want to make money now and start a business in the future
>>
>>1662444
>Some of thes answers in this thread are pathetic

>omg anon doesn't know what a construction manager does
>nvm that I agree with him completely on construction being lucrative, experience being more important than a degree, ownership being the best place to make money, or civil engineering being a great alternative.

pedants, all of you.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.