[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Impresario/Running Events? is it /biz/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 740full-julie-beekman.jpg (469KB, 740x1110px) Image search: [Google]
740full-julie-beekman.jpg
469KB, 740x1110px
Is there money to be made in running events for hipster kids, doesn't matter what it is: dancing, maybe it's a roster of bands, stand up comedians, maybe a film festival.

I dunno. But the point is is there money to be made doing that if you have the connections to the talent? Or is it such a mega logistical and marketing undertaking that it will drain your soul and you realize it would have been easier and more lucrative to be a wagecuck?
>>
>>1660472
I'm kind of taken by the film festival idea

>Can get prizes for below market value: but still be desirable
>If I brand it properly it'll be attractive to filmmakers because it will look like it has prestige even though it's all new
>Can charge for tickets, while I get the content for free
>If it gets big, I can even charge application fees
>Potential to scale up
>>
The costs associated will a film festival are the prize money ($1,000), the cost to rent the theater, and the cost of advertising.

Revenue comes from tickets sold.

Ask an old local small theater how much to rent a theater, and that will give you a starting point to figure out how profitable it would be.

These things are a TON of work and usually not very profitable the first year. So it's a labor of love, not a get-rich quick scheme.
>>
>>1660531
>Ask an old local small theater how much to rent a theater, and that will give you a starting point to figure out how profitable it would be.
Good advice. Can already think of a couple of venues

>These things are a TON of work and usually not very profitable the first year. So it's a labor of love, not a get-rich quick scheme.
This is what I was afraid of. I was thinking of using events as a way of bankrolling a creative enterprise, but I'd rather put the effort into the enterprise itself rather than a festival... hmmm
>>
>>1660521
the art comunnities are usually tight-knit. if you're an aspiring film-maker you usually know your peers (maybe went to the same film school, rent equipment from the same place, member in the same association or circle, been to the same festivals, etc - they're all social media friend anyway). there's no way you can trick people into thinking your festival is more prestigous than it is.

you'll have to look into it, but some festivals pay regular screening fees, so it's not guaranteed that contestants will pour in for free. some may also be memebers of guilds or collecting societies that mandate payments.

at least in Europe most festivals are only barely profitable because of massive sponsoring and private and public subsidies towards the arts.
and even then most underpay their staff. you need a venue, advertising, PR, ticket sales and payment processing, tons of negotiating and contracting with artists and their managements, several people to handle your festival (front desk, information, ticket processing, security, first aid, etc).

i don't think a start-up festival has any chance of doing well as a for-profit venture run by an outsider.
>>
>>1660689
You're thinking on a way bigger scale than I was thinking - I was thinking short film fest (i.e. Tropfest started screening in a pub)... BUT you do know what you're talking about.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.