[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Real Estate

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

I'm a law student at a top 14 Law School, with a job lined up post schooling with no debt.

I wanted to hear more about the real estate meme, is it really impossible to start generating a bit of income off of rental properties? Once I have my career started, I'll be making around $50k starting for my first two years, and it will be rising from there.

Should be enough to buy a property or two with loans every few years, especially once my income jumps up into 6 figure range about 5 years into work. Why wouldn't I be able to buy, say, a duplex and lease it out by the month, and use any gains from it to cover upkeep, while also reinvesting it in more real estate?
>>
You should focus on your career and ignore real estate forever.

Seriously, what the fuck is it about real estate that attracts attorneys? Aspergers and real estate are like peas and carrots.
>>
>>1660381
> Why wouldn't I be able to buy, say, a duplex and lease it out by the month, and use any gains from it to cover upkeep, while also reinvesting it in more real estate?

You're in a top Law School and you can't figure out the answer to this question yourself?
Hmm...seems fishy.
>>
>>1660387
It's attractive because it's the closest non-autismo way to generate side income when you have a decent salary. Parents used to rent out properties when my dad was running his business a couple of decades ago and it was profitable enough for him that he had a nice padding to his bank account from it.

What would you suggest I do then as a sort of side job that isn't handing my money to an investment firm?
>>
>>1660392
Your parents used to do exactly this and you're asking US if you'd be able to?

Why don't you ask your fucking parents?!?
>>
This thread doesn't make an sense whatsoever.

Must be a troll.
>>
>>1660393
Because they're dead.

Not to mention that was in the 70's-80's, not exactly the most applicable to the 2016 real estate market
>>
>>1660397
Well it is more difficult now. Hard to find a property that will give a positive cash flow. If you can find one, great!

If you're paying cash (you rich Lawyer, you) you might find better returns elsewhere, but you can absolutely make real estate a part of your diversified portfolio.
>>
>>1660395
What doesn't make sense is he's only gunna make $50k his first year. WTF?

And no fucking financial advisor worth a shit would work with you due to your lack of capital.
>>
>>1660485
50k sounds about right for public interest
>>
Landlord here: As with most threads, it's best to just say "go to biggerpockets.com and start reading".

In the US, real estate is still very viable.
>>
>>1662585
Tell us some fun stories about toilets you've unplugged and losers you've evicted.

You get to see some seedy shit as a landlord.
>>
>>1662637
Actually, all of the stories I have are pretty good, and I've done some section8 before too. No evictions or anything like that. In fact, the best tenants I've ever had have been sec8. The secret is that you must give respect to get respect. If you just have your hand out for rent, people will resent you. Be prompt and courteous with fixups and over-communicate.

But, now all of my stuff is professionally managed and isn't local, so there's no big tales. Had a sewer outlet pipe collapse recently and that costed me a couple of grand.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.