[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Getting into Marine Services Industry

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

Lately I've been looking into starting up a Marine Services business with a focus on Cleaning, Polishing, and Surface Preparation and Painting/Refinishing of Decks and Hulls on motor yachts.

It will be me, and a small workforce of maybe four employees.

Startup costs are going to run up well over €100,000 for the equipment alone. And the cost of consumables per job is also pretty big.
I'm slightly bitter about not being able to get a loan because I'm self employed, but thats just how things are I guess.

Anyone have experience in this field that can give me some solid advice? I'm looking for a painless way to break into an industry I have zero contacts in.
>>
>>1656558
my brother does this.

he lives in the harbor and knows everybody with a boat. Seems to help. Also he rents equipment and workspace, so he's flexible financially. He might make thousands one week and nothing the next. No big deal, his expenses scale to his income.
>>
>>>>1656558
Do you even have experience in the business?

Services for recreational boats have a really high premium because they are luxury items.

Do you have a dry dock to get the boats out of the water? Most yachts are fiberglass, which is a pain in the ass to clean. I've done it before.

Start by just cleaning off decks. The one good thing about working on recreational boats, is that people have a lot of money. Market to boat owners at marinas with signs at the boathouse and walk up and down marina docks talking to boat owners. Offer deck and bow cleaning services. Get your start there.
>>
>>1656558
Better get some good insurance. You fuck up that hull and that's your house getting repossessed.
Talk to and get to know richfags.
>>
>>1656569
>>1656611
>>1656571

>my brother does this.
>he lives in the harbor and knows everybody with a boat. Seems to help
I live less than 20 miles from the harbour, but most yachts here are foreign flagged or hibernating for the winter.
I was hoping to avoid having to take up golf but it might be inevitable.

>Also he rents equipment and workspace, so he's flexible financially
I'll have to rent out some equipment too.
I can't justify buying things like a boom lift right now, especially when I won't be using them on every job.

I'm hoping my biggest source of income will be the blasting and painting side, and the detailing and hull cleaning jobs only to fill in empty days.

>Better get some good insurance.
Will be getting Insurance and LLC for sure.

>Do you have a dry dock to get the boats out of the water?
Things like crane and yard fees. I'll have to pass on directly to the client.

Neglected to mention that I'd be mobile, so I won't be limited to just one shipyard or marina.

>Services for recreational boats have a really high premium because they are luxury items.
Thats what I believed at first, but now I know its mostly due to the very quick turnaround time plus the higher cost of specialized equipment.

I don't want to start off doing low end jobs hoping bigger ones will eventually come my way.
I'd honestly rather spend 100% time working to land a big job or getting to know the right people than spending 90% of my time burning myself out on small jobs.

I could be washing driveways or detailing cars and smaller boats with less than $5k in equipment if I wanted small jobs. Even though its still good money, its not what I want to do.

>Do you even have experience in the business?
In Automotive refinishing, but not Marine. There's a big overlap of skill and application.
I will be getting some training with a company in Mallorca, Spain, who are the world leaders in this industry.
I'm hoping to make some good contacts while I'm there.
>>
>>1656558

I'd work is an interior boat cleaner first. Basically like a maid, then grow from there.

Way too many "I'm gonna take out a huge loan" posts on biz.

When it comes to opening a business I believe it's better to start small and work up quickly.
>>
>>1657839
Yatchts have their own "maids" for that kind of cleaning and I'm not after the street cred of #startedfromthebottom and #anorhetdayanotherdollar

I'm not financing anything. I'm using my own money I've made from other ventures.
>>
>>1656611
This. Also considered getting a job doing it and shill on the side. (Hey anon I can do for cheaper) then leave and take customers with u
>>
>>1657781
Mobile.

Have fun with the faggot dot.

That's a whole other clusterfuck
>>
>>1659364
Whats dot?
>>
>>1660062
Department of transportation I guess.

they regulate how you transport chemicals and such.
>>
>>1660139
I'm in Europe. Not sure yet if I need some special vehicle or hazmat license.
Will have to look into it.

But I won't be using a big enough quantity of chemicals to need a tanker truck or anything like that.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.