[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Programmer here. I know economics through common sense, but I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: burning fire.gif (19KB, 486x311px) Image search: [Google]
burning fire.gif
19KB, 486x311px
Programmer here. I know economics through common sense, but I never took a formal education behind it. Aka I never took ECON 101 or any other such things. Never even pursued it myself. Give me some beginner stuff. I assume Basic Economics by Thomas Sowell is a good start. However, my one gripe about books like this is that they are done by people who aren't very successful businessman, and I remember hearing a while ago that the best business/ economics material you can get is from those who actually succeeded. Since I'm in the technology/ programming field, what are some books related to that field for someone wanting to do good business?

As one person put it, the key to being a successful software programmer is making something valuable enough for people to give you money for it.
>>
Additionally, I have done some video games in the past, but wonder what the entrepreneurship's take is on a fully entertainment business like so? Naturally, I assume if any of you were investors, you'd avoid that industry with a passion.
>>
Not sure what you actually want, your a programmer and you want to do "good business"? Eh.. where have you been in last 20 years, because, everything is taken. You don't need a book for that, any idea you have is already made, so basically good luck to find a way to make a "new" business.
>>
>>1650834
I was late on the .com boom because I went to college like an idiot instead of thinking of my own. I learned everything myself and college taught me shit.
>>
Economics is a science so you should be learning it from books and peer reviewed articles
You might be confusing economics with general business principles
>>
>>1650830
>>1650834
Yeah, what is it that you are actually asking for op
>>
>>1650836
>>1650837

I guess I'm looking for more software related business material. Sorry for getting the two confused. Pretty much why Im here
>>
>>1650838

Well, already answered you, everything is taken, all ideas are made already from simple software to complicated business, also, if you think you can start with little money and make your way throw some multi billion company's, think again.

Programming (software dev) does not teach you how to become rich, unfortunately, only put you in the working class.
>>
>>1650841
So are you saying that the only business for the sole software engineer is mostly through apps and the software entertainment business?
>>
>>1650844
I am not saying anything, because is very complicated and this world is very dynamic, what seems today good, tomorrow may be updated, and so on. Risk is very high. Unless, of course you can make the "next big thing" and become rich.
>>
>>1650848
Well that's why we do business, isnt it. To find the next big thing. For me, it's moreso just wanting to find a stable thing. Some programmers made relevant libraries or software, and end up making dough simply from selling it to other people who have use for it for their businesses. But with everything been done these days, I almost feel like that as a software programmer, I'm better off as this wage/ salary worker, less I strike it big, as they say.
>>
>>1650830
Learning economics past first-year uni level isn't really going to help you with business. You're much better off actually taking business/marketing courses. Economics only teaches you the underlying theories behind it.
It's kind of like the difference between a composer and a violinist.
>>
>>1650868
Yeah thats how I felt about economics. Business has always been an active learning field: you can't do it unless you actually get through some field tested concepts and put through the fire, so to say.
>>
>>1650830
economics won't teach you about business
read about finance instead
>>
>>1650830
Are you serious. Just go on the MIT website, look at the books they ask their students to buy and just read the fucking books. Don't ask stupid questions like those on here.
>>
read
http://www.r-5.org/files/books/trading/speculation/Jesse_Livermore-How_To_Trade_In_Stocks_(1940_original)-EN.pdf
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.