[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Two job offerings...

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 0

I have been unemployed for 10 months, and applied for a bunch of jobs.

One job is in IT, but it is very stable, and I get to fix/teach people I hate how to use some equipment. County Government worker

I figure with benefits I will be making about 35-40 an hour... but I will never be able to own my own company, basically golden handcuffs.

A different job is offering to pay me 15 an hour, 0 benefits, off the books, but I get to learn a valuable skill that I can start my own business (even buy the business from the 70 year old boss). No retirement plans, except my own... And I get to make my own future. It is in an obtuse trade involving a lot of digging.

Which would you take?
>>
This is really a personal decision op think about it what do you want from your life,

Do you want an easy life with a secure income but you know you wont live lavishly unless you save money/ live frugally (ie @ 35/h after tax you bring home 58k save 15% and invest 15% live off $41.6k per year for 10 years youd have saved 83k plus invested 83k)

Then the next option is your physical job you learn the trade in what two years? It honestly factors off how thirsty for success you are. If its an obtuse trade it means hardly anyone would learn it but is it a required trade? After youve mastered your skill you network with your bosses clients and takeover them after he retires and then expand the business into neighboring counties it just requires hard work

what do you want from life op
>>
>>1650235
checked the salary again... the pay is $35 an hour... Benefits are worth extra $15 per hour...

I cant turn down that much money...
>>
>>1650248
It's kind of sad how much government pays for the how retarded the job is...

i will literally be sitting at a chair pretending to work...

god I hate government/taxes, but once you get out... they pull you back in...
>>
>>1650249
Just aggressively save dude live below your means and retire before 50
>>
>>1650251
I already do...
>>
>>1650256
oh ok gl senpai its just from the way you wrote your first post made you seem like your were lost in life was all
>>
I am....
I want to start a small business like my father did, but I got sucked into government minion life...

I have a chance to break out of it, but I'm scared that I won't be able to beat that level of pay/benefits combined with the additional cost of starting a business in that field (minimum 500,000 to get in)
>>
>>1650266
Hmm well if youre young op why dont you just try the opportunity this time instead of the comfort. I mean how long do you expect to master this trade? If it takes two years and you fail you can still spin it as experience and if its so easy to get these government jobs just apply in the future for one
>>
>>1650270
frankly the trade seems incredibly simple, but has quite a huge capital barrier to entry.
septic tanks, its not glamourous, but it is not rocket science, and most people stay out of it due to stigma/capital/digging
>>
>>1650273
A few months ago I joined up to do an ICT BTEC because I didn't have the grades to do computer science A level. I joined the college because I wanted to stay with my friend.

Well I'm not friends with him anymore and I know for a fact I never want an office job.

It was mind boggling how this was a course. I was wasting my time. I wanted to kill myself because the very act would have been more interesting than what I was doing. Ironically it was being taught by an indian.

You will want to kill yourself OP. Life is never safe. It is always risky. You could choke, slip and hit your head, be ran over by a car (which I have been). Before this post gets deleted I want to say this OP.

I want to ride a motorcycle because I would rather die going too fast than going slow and staying "safe". If you're going to take risks, do it where the reward will be big. Either way you have risks. Just the government job doesn't have a big pay off at the end. Both leave you dead in the end. Just which one will you be rich in?

What's the point of retiring at 60, too weak to travel the world? Sitting on your ass all day is just as bad... Even worse.

I'm just saying you will want to kill yourself sitting on your ass all day staring at a screen. Especially if that is what you are going to do anyway when you come home.

I wish you the best OP whichever you may choose.
>>
>>1650284
Everyone likes the 'idea' of working outdoors until it's 110 degrees, or 35 degrees and storming.

If your run your own company you will be working in your own office a lot, sometimes it's only you or 3 of your employees, but you will be staring at screen, or on the phone harassing a customer to pay their bill, or with a vendor asking where your equipment/materials are.
>>
>>1650296
No shit it's gonna be hard. But .gov job is mediocrity.
>>
>>1650302
not mediocrity more like top 90%, but guaranteed to do better than 90%, but never go above 90%
>>
>>1650303
Lets agree to disagree.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 0

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.