[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Starting a Coffee / Food Stand

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

Hey /biz/, I come to you today to run an idea by you. I live in small town with one road that leads out of it, and there's not a single drive thru coffee or food shop here. I've got a great location where I can set up a stand right in the middle of a straight stretch in a big gravel lot (so easy access in and out, plus visibility).

My plan is to start with just a gazeebo and test the waters before throwing down a physical building. I figure if saturday markets can do it, so can I. What I'm wondering is, what kind of restrictions and regulations do I need to watch out for? How will my income be taxed? I've never done anything like this before.

If someone could point me in the right direction for who to talk about the building and food handling requirements, I'd be very grateful. I'd hate to build this shack only to find my floor doesn't meet the requirements and have to tear it down.
>>
>>1649802
>small town
How small? I think some basic market research will tell you how small you can go before a coffee stand won't fly. I've seen the coffee shack and drive through is key to operation, possibly not seating at all except maybe an outside picnic table for nice weather days. Business license and also go high end coffee, get a few fancy machines and the hottest girl you can find to work the booth.
>>
>>1649819
~2,500 people

I figure 15 costumers a day makes it worthwhile, which I believe is doable considering the regions need for something like this.

Definitely looking for low overhead, no seating except like what you mentioned.
>>
>>1649823
certainly going to be drive through accessible, aiming to sell many to-go driver friendly foods too.

can you expand a bit on the business licenses?
>>
>>1649802
Make sure you get a permit from the town hall, it's illegal otherwise.
>>
I'd start away from anything food or beverage. These types of businesses have the worst success stats.
>>
>>1649802
Do you really wanna stand in a gazebo all day selling coffee and donuts in a gravel lot?

It's going to be shit work, probably tiny gross.
>>
>>1650308
It is when the market is saturated, but if OP is the only game in town it might work.

Like another anon said, how small does a town have to be to be at a dead end road? Do people with money routinely commute to work out of town?
>>
OP what country you in?

I seriously doubt that 15 customers a day makes your idea worthwhile, you'll have to pay for kitchen equipment ( a serious coffee machine isn't cheap)
if you are doing the building, that also won't be cheap.

talk to your local town government, they will be able to tell you what you'll have to spend on licensing, permits etc.
>>
>>1650339
That's funny, I lived in a town with about 2500 people and it had a coffee shop but went out of biz a year after I got there, not sure how long it was up before that. I think people just started drinking the gas station coffee. Then again it sold muffins, breakfast sandwiches and other perishables. Straight up coffee shack with low over head might work but food / beverage biz is brutal no question. I know one in another town of 5000 that works, just a shack but no real competition, really good coffee and on a highway that cuts through the town.
>>
It's very hard work and you will most likely fail
>>
>>1650460
Yeah a gas station that sold good coffee and microwave burritos would be better if no other such business was in town.

I knew a tiny, dead end town called Ceder Keys Florida that had no gas station but had like 4 sea food restaurants.
>>
>>1649802
Maybe a shed with some vending machines might be a better idea.

One that sells coffee, another with some packaged pastry and other snacks, and a picnic table next to it.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.