[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

All the focus is on autonomous cars, why is there no focus on

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: u s Highway System.jpg (138KB, 500x333px) Image search: [Google]
u s Highway System.jpg
138KB, 500x333px
All the focus is on autonomous cars, why is there no focus on smart roads? Wouldn't it be easier to just gather data and have computers direct traffic?

>Less time sitting in traffic, meaning more productivity
>Less emissions from sitting and doing nothing in a traffic jam

Why is this not being done on a large scale? Am I missing something, or is this an industry to try sneaking into while it's not "the thing" i.e. autonomous cars
>>
>>1649646
inb4 autonomous cars will already do this

yes, but it's going to be a long time before they're widely adopted.

The government will mandate all cars be autonomous once it's proven to be statistically safer than humans driving. The insurance companies will lobby the government and the law will be changed.

I think we are years away from this and smart roads would bridge the gap between autonomous cars and people driving
>>
>>1649646
>Wouldn't it be easier to just gather data and have computers direct traffic?
No it's not easier.
Laying down millions, if not billions of dollars of equipment to monitor all cars paid for by the taxpayers on every stretch of road in the country?

Or, BYO: everyone buys an anonymous car

Did yo even think this through?
>>
>>1649649
People will not adopt autonomous cars for a long time.

It can't be that expensive if we can build a highway system.

>Laying down millions, if not billions dollars of asphalt all paid for by the taxpayers!

Nigga, just have cities do it or counties, Electronics are dirt cheap thanks to china.
>>
>>1649649
Also, I'm not talking something like solar panel roads.

You can still gather data/use it without having something every other inch.

Also, I didn't say it would be real time. Gather data on roadways.

There is a lot of innovation to be done to our infrastructure. And guess who wants to go big on infrastructure?
>>
>>1649646
Commuter rail makes more sence
>>
>>1649653
It is already being done, and there are three widely used software packages that can control traffic on a large scale.

Why did you think it wasn't being done?
>>
>>1649653
In the Uk there some Smart stuff which is being used on motorways. I'm not directly involved but I think its more based on cameras monitoring cars and queues (rather than sensors) so lanes can be reallocated depending on need (They have overhead gantry signs for opening/closing or changing lane directions. We also have modelling programmes etc so know when peak demands are likely to occur etc. so there some automation being bought in.
But I'm abit unclear on what you proposal actually is.
>>
>>1649646
Bigger question is, why the fuck do people still don't realize how insane using internal combustion engines for personal transport is. Crude oil is too useful to just burn for transport. and soon enough we'll pay for that idiocy.
>>
>>1650066
I just want a slice of this pie because no one seems to be talking or thinking about it
>>
>>1649646

l2 nash equilibrium
>>
>>1649646

>governments would have to plan this shit and governments always fuck up
>"gathering data" = track where everyone is all the time
>losing all that tax money from luxury cars and oil
>computers will fuck up at some point, no politician wants to be linked to the deaths of innocents
>some parties would surely disagree with your streets and win the next election which is all that matters in democracy
>>
Techfags, what are the chances that we will see hovercars in the near future? I know we'll never have flying cars like in the sci-fi movies, but hovering vehicles would be very practical as they would save us a shit ton in infrastructure spending.
>>
Follow the technology more closely. Autonomous cars and smart cities are developing in tandem and will be intrinsically linked.

Also- I work for an insurance company. A large one. The industry is well aware of these technologies and is preparing. It is not trying to hinder them. It is acknowledged that if cars stop crashing, insurance premiums and therefore revenues will plummet. Many insurers are now beefing up their non-auto lines of business.

We are a long way away from fully autonomous cars that go anywhere. Technological change is incremental. Already on the market are smart technologies in cars- things like stopping you if it senses you are about to rear end somebody. The next steps will be autonomy within a prescribed area, like a city- this will undoubtedly involve smart cities as you asked about in OP. I expect the Bay Area will be a forerunner here since Tesla, Google, and Uber are leading the research on Autonomous cars. Perhaps by the 2040s or 2050s may we see fully Autonomous cars that go anywhere.
>>
>>1650590
>implying this is handled by the government
>oh god no!! we can't monitor and study traffic flow (which I'm sure we already do), m8 I said it didn't have to be real time

>>1650598
I think automakers would be the ones working towards this, and the answer is they aren't.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.