[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

not understanding wages

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

I'm applying for a job at my local university, but I'm not sure how to work out the hours and wages
1. 0.7FTE (for the hours)
2. It's "£19,813 to £23,881 per annum pro rata"
Not sure how the pro-rata works out, or what 0.7FTE means.
It's just confusing because I've never come across it before, most jobs I've had just plainly say "40 hours per week" or whatever like that.
>>
I think it stands for Full Time Equivalent. 0.1 is half a day, so .7 would be 3.5 days.
>>
>>1645694
3.5 days a week?
>>
>>1645680
FTE of 1 is a full year... To be specific 2080 hours, so just wing it and call it a 2000 hours.

A FTE of .7 would be approximately 1400 hours.

Since it would be an academic year sort of thing which will equate to the salary range that you've indicated to be at .7 rate during one full year.

I'm currently an academic staff and my FTE is .8 so what I do is the following...

My base pay is at the full FTE rate of 1 so what that means is during the month I don't work so I don't get paid and all. I budget my income into yearly / equal monthly pay of...

((BasePay * 12) * 0.8) / 12 = Actual AvgMonthlyPay and I budget my entire budget around that number so I'm not fucked during the summer and what not.

Now your workplace could offer Direct Rate pay or 10 / 12 months pay depending on how they structure their pay to staff who aren't FTE.

YMMV
>>
>>1645716
So my avgmonthpay would be that equation just replace 0.8 with 0.7?
Alright, I just need to find out what the base pay is then and I'll go from there, cheers.
>>
For example... Let's assume the following...

Monthly Base Pay = 4000
FTE = 0.7

Assuming you get paid the 4k a month then you should budget your money in the following manner to ensure that you have money for 12 months even if you don't work the full 12 months.

BasePay * FTE 0.7 = 2800/mo

Yearly Pay = 2800 * 12 = 33600

Actual Pay/Hr = 4000 * 12 / 2080 = 23.08/hr
Actual FTE Pay/Hr = 2800 * 12 / 2080 = 16.153

Hope that helps somewhat with you understanding what you're looking at.
>>
>>1645734
Yes - practically that's the gist of it.
>>
>>1645734
Looks like the base pay based off what you posted would be...

19813 for FTE 1.0

19813 * FTE of 0.7 = 13869.1

AvgMonthly would be 13869.1 / 12 = 1155.76

Now they could pay you the full rate of the actual base during your working months and none during the non-working months... It depends on how they prorate it for you or whether if you have to budget it yourself. Either way your actual monthly avg would be ~ 1155/mo
>>
>>1645745
How can the monthly wage be 1155 a month though if the listing says that it's between roughly 19,000 and 23,000 per annum?
>>
>>1645765
That's at FTE of 1 so you would go by FTE 0.7 and then divide it by 12 for a Monthly Avg... I've done the math right there.
>>
>>1645800
If FTE is at 1.0 then monthly avg would be 1651.08

If FTE is at 0.7 then monthly avg would be 1155.76
>>
>>1645680
my FTE is 0.5 but my PI wants me working 40+ hrs a week. Am I being jewed?
>>
>>1645800
I wasn't trying to say you'd done the math wrong - shit son I'm shit at math (why I'm asking for help with this) so I can't really talk about anyone's maths skills; I was just wasn't sure how that worked out was all
>>
>>1645765
Oooh, shit sorry - I just didn't properly digest the info you were putting up; completely missed the obvious 19813 in it...
>>
>>1645819

That depends - some FTE are not based on the avg hours you put in per week, some would assume you put in a FT equiv during the workweek and then you won't work for another half of the year sort of thing.

If you're OT eligible - who gives a fuck?
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.