[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>be me >be mechanical engineer specializing in computational

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 5

File: 1476499817467.jpg (75KB, 640x689px) Image search: [Google]
1476499817467.jpg
75KB, 640x689px
>be me
>be mechanical engineer specializing in computational analysis methods
>work for a company that designs and fuels nuclear reactors
>write CFD code that simulates the reactor
>requires extensive knowledge of mechanical engineering, advanced mathematics, and computing
>literally design nuclear reactors for a living
>make $80k a year

>be guy I know
>be webdev hipster faggot
>get job selling internet ads
>requires mediocre knowledge of javascript and that's it
>make $110k a year with a $90k signing bonus

Why are codemonkeys so goddamn overpaid??? When will this shit end?

I would be making over $500k a year if I were paid on a similar scale in accordance to my skill. I could easily do his job but there's no way in hell he could do mine without fucking up and killing a ton of innocent people.
>>
>>1642053
> I could easily do his job but there's no way in hell he could do mine without fucking up and killing a ton of innocent people.
Then do it, whats the problem?
>>
>requires extensive knowledge of mechanical engineering, advanced mathematics, and computing

You do realize at the end of the day you're just pressing a couple buttons on a model someone else wrote the code for and trusting the black box results, right?

get over yourself you fucking mong. Do you have any idea how many mech e grads with a specilization in """""computational analysis methods""""" are coming into the workforce at the end of this semester alone? You are not special, unique, or significant.
>>
>>1642072
>whats the problem?
The labor market is fucked if it pays people all haphazard like that
>>
>>1642093
I write the code from scratch you retard.

>>1642095
This.
>>
File: 1479269358022.jpg (29KB, 543x533px) Image search: [Google]
1479269358022.jpg
29KB, 543x533px
>>1642093
Ow the edge
>>
File: 1480375210894.jpg (257KB, 919x720px) Image search: [Google]
1480375210894.jpg
257KB, 919x720px
>>1642053
Engineering has a relatively low ceiling when it comes to salary. CS hasn't but at least in europe there are a lot of code monkeys who do shitty software developement jobs and will never make it above 60k.

I feel engineering really is a meme. Should I drop out and just switch to some finance or economics crap?
>>
>>1642053
Supply and demand, be more open with skilled immigration and it will drop in the blink of an eye

Also to make 200k$ he must be in SV at a great startup or a big4 which is not so easy to get into
>>
File: 492443441.jpg (6KB, 110x62px)
492443441.jpg
6KB, 110x62px
>>1642053
so then make a nuclear meltdown happen when your rival just happens to be in the vicinity of the reactor.

problem solved.
>>
>>1642053

It's not what you know.

It's who you know and how you exert your knowledge.

There's a sign maker a few miles from me who is worth over $20 million. He makes signs. Some of them light up.
>>
File: 26NeG0P.jpg (193KB, 640x465px)
26NeG0P.jpg
193KB, 640x465px
>>1642053

Yeah it blows me away how tedious and unrewarding professions like engineering and accounting are.

I know a very talented 58-year old mechanical engineer who in the last 10 years had changed jobs 8 times and never made more than $70k, whereas a Millennial dipshit friend of mine, who did political science, submitted a few essays, didn't know how to do math beyond arithmetic, and he works for some government agency in forestry, doing God knows what, making $80k with a pension plan.

Shit's fucked.

But I guess that is the cost of autism.
>>
>Gain access to nuclear material somehow
>Sell it to suspicious men in turbans
>Make a mill a year with OILBUCKZ
>A million people die
>You still have a million bucks.
>>
>>1642053
ME student here.
Compare where you live with the dude.
If he lives in Silicon Valley and you don't he probably makes less than you do after living expenses...

Otherwise, learn to code, build robots
>>
>>1642992
>turbans set off nuke attack in the major metropolitan area
>inadvertently kills off most webdevs, but not the webdev hipster faggot OP knows
>webdev hipster faggot OP knows' services are now at a premium.
>webdev hipster faggot now makes $1.1 million a year due to supply and demand
>oooooooh
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.