[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

"risk free" alternative investments?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

File: death.jpg (1MB, 1200x1031px) Image search: [Google]
death.jpg
1MB, 1200x1031px
So I recently came upon an article about the insane price hikes in some lego sets, and I realized that this is essentially a risk free investment!
>buy some expensive lego set
>it goes up in price
>sell at a profit
>it does not go up in price
>you have some nice legos to play with or to gift to some relatives kids
Plus, they are only at maximum in the low $100 to start with (if yo buy them new, instead of hopping onto the speculation train and buying some stuff that already rose in price, hoping it will rise some more).
I'm really thinking about starting to buy some legos again…
Now, of course that can only be some small and really minor addition to a portfolio, but still, turning lets say $160 into $2000 is some nice pocket money for a nice holiday or something.
What else are some things where you might get some nice price hikes but still have a product you can enjoy, if those hikes don't occur?
So far I only came up with:
>watches. If you dont get money out of it, you still have a nice watch.
but the entry fee might be rather steep, since watches under the thousands rarely become really expensive. plus, it seems like the watch market might be bubbling anyways.
>"young" classic cars. If you dont get money out of it, you still have a nice, everyday car
There is some, still ubiquitous cars from the 80s or even 90s that might turn into collectors items soon, but are still 100% useable for everyday driving.
>…?
>>
>>1639074
farming.
>>
Houses
>>
>>1639074
buy 500 deathstars rent out 499
>>
>>1639084
Somewhat true, but I'd assume most of us here can not simply buy a house from change they have lying around. The fact that you have tied up so much capital in one object is quite a risk in itself.
>>
There is no such thing as a risk-free investment. If you can't handle that, then don't invest.
>>
>>1639111
>There is no such thing as a risk-free investment.
Hence I put it "into brackets", and I thought the whole wording of my post made it clear that I'm looking for some fun stuff as a side "investment" that might or might not give me some returns, but definitely will give me some enjoyment or practical use.

And if we are going to ignore the risk of stepping on them at night, I would term buying legos for a hundred dollars risk free, if you enjoy them, or have kids somewhere to give it too. Lego wont get old. When I grew up, the base of my lego "portfolio" where the old legos my dad had when he was little, and maybe, someday a kid of mine will play with my dads legos, the stuff I bought when I was little, and all those star wars sets when I thought it was a good idea. Those fuckin blocks simply dont fall apart and you can never have enough legos.
Unless you are stupid and "invest" all your life savings in them.
>>
>wait 10 years
>deathstar still at $100
>give it away
>five years later it sells for $5000
>>
>>1639074
Magic: The Gathering dual lands are extremely safe. They will only go up because they are 20 years old and will never be reprinted, but are pretty much mandatory in certain formats.
>>
>>1639074
>he thinks buying investment lego is that easy
>>
>>1639145
But this is the problem with every investment. Just the same as with stocks and such. You will almost never sell at the perfect timing.
>oh wow, it went to the moon! gotta sell before it crashes!
>sold
>it moves to mars and beyond.
>Oh, fuck, that was a mistake, gotta cut my losses and sell before it drops even further.
>sold
>it recovers quickly

>>1639162
I guess if you are into that stuff, that could be a nice idea. I dont know anything about magic. Out of interest: how much do those cards cost?

>>1639188
So whats hard about it?
>>
>>1639258
>Out of interest: how much do those cards cost?
A few hundred bucks. Exactly how much depends on the card because some are more in-demand than others.

Legacy format is popular because a lot of people consider it to be the most intense and competitive format, but it's really hard to compete without dual lands because the power level is so high. Lands form a significant % of any deck and dual lands are blatantly overpowered for any deck running more than one color (nearly all of them), which is why there's so much demand.

At the same time, Wizards of the Coast pledged 20 years ago that they'd never reprint these cards (among others) and has a history of supporting the secondary market, so you can count on them to climb in value as long as the game continues to gain players.

If you're good at the game you can also speculate on which new cards are lowkey OP and will spike 10x after they win a tournament. It's generally easier to trade these than sell them, though.
>>
>>1639270
>At the same time, Wizards of the Coast pledged 20 years ago that they'd never reprint these cards
>pledged
so there is some risk that they'll decide on some future point to reprint them. Also, what's stoping someone from just copying them? (not in the commercial way, I guess they are trademarked, but players that just want to play with them and do handrawn ones)
In both cases, there probably still would be a signifcant demand for the old/real ones from collectors, but the inherent value as a needed item (well, as much as one needs cards for a nerdy card game…) would get greatly reduced.
Not trying to talk shit on magic, I just find such "markets" genuinely interesting.
>>
>>1639282
>so there is some risk that they'll decide on some future point to reprint them.
The chance is greater than 0, but it would erode most of the goodwill Wizards has built up over the years by supporting the secondary market. I don't see it as a significant risk.

>players that just want to play with them and do handrawn ones
These are called proxies and they aren't tournament legal. You need the real deal if you want to play in tournaments or other official events, and the Magic community is really into tournaments.
>>
one small bump
>>
>>you have some nice legos to play wit

Don't get high on your own supply
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.