[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Resume Critique Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 14

Couldn't find a resume thread in the catalog.

I've been running a business for the last year, but things aren't going well. Due to the job market I've been forced to seek employment with a government agency to continue funding my business activities.

I've written up a new resume and would appreciate some feedback on it. I'm looking to enter law enforcement.
>>
File: RichardRoth_Resume2017+-page-002.jpg (839KB, 2481x3508px) Image search: [Google]
RichardRoth_Resume2017+-page-002.jpg
839KB, 2481x3508px
Page 2
>>
File: 1403423954758.jpg (504KB, 1500x950px) Image search: [Google]
1403423954758.jpg
504KB, 1500x950px
Bump
>>
Way to vague at the specifics, lots of buzzwords. Cut the tutor shit.
Cut all the specifics of your 8 fucking studies?(3 bachelors wtf?) Only go into details about points relating to the job you want. Don't just mention a list of courses you took.

Al those "studies" languages, are you any good at any of those? Else cut them. Cut music, cut sports, cut writing, cut martial arts, cut clubs, remove the programming you are not good at .

All in all you just write to many buzzwords and not enough actual numbers. You are "owner" at like 3 things, and I have no clue how big those things are.

I get pist of just reading your resume its so much fluf.
>>
What were you doing to end up with 3 bachelors
>>
>>1634971
>>1634973

>more than one page
>terrible formatting
>has an objective statement
>hobbies and interest section is more than just one fucking sentence

jesus fucking christ, did you never learn how to write a resume?
>>
>>1634971
Restart bro. Looks messy and unorganized. I would throw this out right away.

Very first thing i would do is get rid of those fucking columns
>>
File: richardheadresume.jpg (73KB, 615x576px) Image search: [Google]
richardheadresume.jpg
73KB, 615x576px
How did I do, lads?
>>
>>1635390
>not ballsy enough to look for a job with high pay and NO responsibilities

>'sleeping till noon'
>his dreams are so small and insignificant that they don't even take up all of his day

how do you expect to get hired anywhere with zero initiative?
>>
File: richardRoth_Resume2017--page-001.jpg (903KB, 2481x3508px) Image search: [Google]
richardRoth_Resume2017--page-001.jpg
903KB, 2481x3508px
>>1635271
>>1635341
>>1635343

How is this? Took your advice and worked up another one.

>>1635316

Started a Computer Science / Arts double bachelor. Switched to Business / Arts double bachelor in the second year. So its two completed bachelors and a half-finished one.

>>1635390

It's uncanny how those dates fit. Did you look me up on linkedIn?
>>
My resume has like half a page. I'm fucked, aren't I?
>>
>>1635436
I'm pretty sure that's not how it works
>>
File: oKdF0zM.png (292KB, 673x1742px) Image search: [Google]
oKdF0zM.png
292KB, 673x1742px
>>1635436
Here is mine, its not complete but it might give you an idea of what I mean when I say add numbers.

Of course your situation is different and you should start with work experience and then move onto education and then other.

A short summary of what I would do if where you.

1. Quantify your achievment, add GPA's if they are somewhat decent. Add number of people you where responsible for. Mention growth rates of your own company. Etc.

2. You said you want to apply for law enforcment. Under each of your certfication/eudcations add what you learned and is usefull for the job you are applying for.

3. You are older then me so its no biggy if you want to use two pages its okay but keep it 2 pages max (atleast in my field (finance/consultancy) thats standard).
You can mention all your other jobs, just dont waste more then a few lines on it if its not that relevant to what your applying for

4. Work on your lay out, its really unnatractive.
>>
>>1635436
Much better but it is not perfect. Or good.

The professional summary is garbage. Get rid of the professional summary.

Find a better template.
>>
File: 1475726697093.png (342KB, 1275x1650px) Image search: [Google]
1475726697093.png
342KB, 1275x1650px
>>
File: KY0BGJx.jpg (537KB, 2550x3300px) Image search: [Google]
KY0BGJx.jpg
537KB, 2550x3300px
>>
File: 5E8wvHZ.jpg (661KB, 2550x3300px) Image search: [Google]
5E8wvHZ.jpg
661KB, 2550x3300px
>>
>>1635499
How old are you?

the only tangible thing I get from this is 2 lines about your education.

Personally I hate those little filled in dots but maybe its standard in coding?

"I have proven ability to diagoose problems and fix data to ensure accuracy?"

O really? Maybe SHOW what you did instead of tell. (Give numbers or what project)
>>
>>1635499
>>1635509

I agree with this. You really shouldn't be self-assessing your software skills. If you want to demonstrate proficiency then get certified.
>>
>>1635485
Any has some feedback on mine? Don't have problems getting interviews but one can always improve :)
>>
>>1635436
Much better but you took out some good parts. I would probably consolidate your skills and certifications, have it at the bottom under work history and education.

Also shorten the amount of skills and make them sound better. Example combine civil and criminal law to make "knowledge of civil and criminal law". Defensive tactics training > "~20 year martial arts and defence tactics training experience" ect.

Take out the top paragraph and add a second previous employment probably the one where you were a teacher.

Just my 2 cents. Cheers
>>
>>1635485
It probably doesnt matter because youre pretty well acomplished, but more than 2 months of employement history usually helps
>>
File: res.png (74KB, 687x869px) Image search: [Google]
res.png
74KB, 687x869px
Here is mine, how can I make mine better. Note that I order my items in what I want my employer to see first and not by date.

My next semester is my last and I was gonna take a bunch of nanodegree courses on udacity to get projects and stuff.
>>
>>1636739
> FIU
Into the thrash it goes along with the MDC and UM kids.
>>
>>1634971
ayyy QUT, lad.

Look at the resume resources on careershub desu
>>
>>1634971
why did you bail from the navy pusser
>>
>>1636744

Thanks, I'll have a look.

>>1636806

Chronic seasickness. I loved the Navy, but I never got my sea legs and being at sea was suffering. They kept putting me on more severe seasickness medication, of which the side effects were worse.

I just got unlucky I guess.
>>
>>1634971
tl;dr
>>
>>1636739
I like it! What did come to mind where some of the "smaller" things seem a bit useless like, ""motivated, stimulated, and interacted with 20+ highschool students for 6 hours duration."

To me that just seems like fluf, like if you only did that once what can you possibily do because of that...
The same goes with some of the hackaton and competiton stuff. I dont know how common it is it list all minor projects/events you have done when talking about coding but if it is not common (look up industry standard resume) then I would suggest just making a lisst all those competitions/things. Right now I see "Worked in cooperation/colaoration/team" 5 times for a super minor thing.
>>
>>1634971

ooooooo how bout meeeee
>>
File: Resume_2017++.png (354KB, 1240x1754px) Image search: [Google]
Resume_2017++.png
354KB, 1240x1754px
Thank you anons for all your input. It has been a great help.

With your constructive advice, I have come up with another version.

Any further feedback would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>>1634973
>>1634971
What is "Australian Fiction?"
>>
>>1637111

Australian fiction is fiction that deals specifically with fictional stories that happen in or relate to Australia.

A popular example is Cloudstreet, a story about two families sharing a house in the city.

I entered a literary competition for Australian Fiction and wrote a short novella. I didn't win, but later had the manuscript edited and self-published.
>>
Too many bullet points. It's like reading a grocery shopping list. Any accomplishments listed do not explain why they are accomplishments. Sure, you can play the Japanese skin flute, but so what?
>>
>>1634973
dont put languages you "studied" faggot. this isn't a culture club.
>>
File: res.png (79KB, 701x882px) Image search: [Google]
res.png
79KB, 701x882px
>>1636882
Thanks, I updated it some more. I decided to leave the hackathons because it shows that I am participating at an extracurricular level.
>>
>>1634971
>>http://www.goerie.com/news/20150203/waterford-man-jailed-on-rape-sexual-assault-charges
>>
>>1634971
if you think anyone is going to read all this youre insane. 60% of it isnt even relevant to the position youre applying for
>>
Here's my resume without my current role (it's the resume I used to get my current role)

Out of about 30 jobs I applied for, I had about 20 calls-back. Out of these 20 calls, I had around 15 interviews.

OP, seems like you and I have similar interests career-wise, feel free to use this as a template. Good luck with the hunt.
>>
File: resume pic censored.png (297KB, 1024x3336px) Image search: [Google]
resume pic censored.png
297KB, 1024x3336px
>>1638049
Whoops, forgot pic.
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.