[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How to give my two weeks?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

Two years ago, I took a job with a family friend right out of college as an estimator for a commercial window company. I would be the only full time Employee with one part time project manager, a secretary and a book keeper. I was really excited for the opportunity to get this job as it would give me oppurtunities to travel (our main area is NYC) and learn a lot.

Over the past two years it has been a struggle financially for the company. We still have enough work to keep busy, but the jobs are not huge. We moved offices to save roughly $800/month on rent and the project manager had retired (I took over his duties).

There are several reasons why I'm quitting. First, I was promised health insurance after 90 days. I'm only 22, so the agreement was for $15/week that I could give to my dad for being on his company insurance. I was also promised 2 raises, One after a year of working there and when I bough my house in March, he wrote down on the Mortgage papers that I would be receiving one in June. I never got a raise. Also, he is 52 years old. Assuming he retires at 70, that only gives me 18 years left to work here. 18 years I could grow at a company I know I can retire at.

I am also a little fed up that despite me not getting a raise, he has enough money to buy his 16 y.o. daughter a $16K mustang, pay for his other daughters college, and take his wife and daughters to horse shows all over the United States.

Its tricky because I do like my job, and despite all the things listed above my boss is a really good guy who really does care about me. My new job is only 4 days a week, so I plan offering to work on my day off and some nights.

I have the biggest pit in my stomach about giving my two weeks. I really need your help on how to go about this, 4chan.
>>
>
There are several reasons why I'm quitting. First, I was promised health insurance after 90 days. I'm only 22, so the agreement was for $15/week that I could give to my dad for being on his company insurance. I was also promised 2 raises, One after a year of working there and when I bough my house in March, he wrote down on the Mortgage papers that I would be receiving one in June. I never got a raise.
It sound pretty justified, so I don't see how it's hard, sorry.
>>
I put in my two week notice at a job once. The boss had a box you could put papers in outside her office. I wrote "this is my two week notice" and put it in there. She called me into her office later to confirm, I just said yeah, i'm leaving. They begged me to stay but that job sucked. My time was not worth it there.

If you're more confrontational, get a meeting with a manager and say you're leaving and these will be the last two weeks. Don't over think it. People quit all the time. You don't owe anyone there anything.
>>
>>1632148

Just cuz I would consider him a friend.
>>
>>1632153
He sounds like a shitty friend, if he promised you all that.
>>
>>1632119
>my boss is a really good guy who really does care about me.
Basically he's just not an asshole. He doesnt give a fuck about you, believe me. The only thing he cares about is how well you make him money.

You were made a promise and then hear crickets, I dont see how this isnt obvious to you. Start looking.
>>
>>1632214
Yeah man. Get a job lined out and bring this shit up. Politlely. Tell them u want $x amount or u bounce.
>>
>>1632940
imo its never worth asking for $x or you leave. If they do give it to you, the odds of them looking to dispose of you afterwards increase. there goes your job and the potential other job you had lined up.
>>
>>1632119
secure a new, better paying position and use that as leverage to get better pay and benefits from your current job.
>>
>>1632947
This right here. I know at least in the technological fields the best way to get a a raise is to move onto another job.
>>
I tried to just quit my job. I was a trainer and safety coordinator at a plant. I worked there for years and loved the place. But then we started hiring through temp agencies instead of direct hire and it all went to shit. We had the literal scum of the earth come in to work. They refused to be properly trained and were horrible at their jobs. The full time employees also treated them like shit making them do 90% of the work which wasn't safe at all. We have 3 people on 2 lines for a reason so they can rotate and the floater could assist when needed while taking a break. Instead the full time employees would float all night while the temp workers worked their asses off doing poor work at that. Scrap went up. Had up to 5 failed pallets a night at quality control. Spent 3 weeks trying to convince the supervisor to tell the manager temp employees is not going to work out but hed never listen. So I just said fuck it and left after a 3 day notice.

I really wish it worked out there. 2 months after I quit a supervisor position opened up (no surprise that it was my supervisor getting fired) and I could have gotten the job.

I'm now doing quality control at a copper plant. I get paid $2 more a hour. The job is less stressful. The place really emphasises on safety and hiring experienced people. I hope I can move up here.
>>
>>1632119
>Apply for other jobs
>have offers of higher salaries ready
>present it this way: look i really love working with you guys, but I got offered x and y company. is there no way to get a salary boost up to z?
>>
>>1632119
just quit.
you don't owe them anything.
If you can make the same money in less time somewhere else that means you're currently working the time difference for free.

you shouldn't be working for free for someone that isn't a blood relative planning on passing the company on to you. Doesn't matter how much you like them.
>>
Your employer isn't a charity. If you can get a better deal somewhere else then go somewhere else. It's up to them to make it worth your while

Sounds pretty dick of them desu. There's a good chance they'll offer you that raise when you put in your two weeks but I wouldnt buy it if that's what it takes. Push for more or go somewhere else.

Their success is not your problem
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.